How can I change a graph with 2 bars,2 lines to 3 bars, 1 line?

  1. #1
    IOWAJulie
    Guest

    How can I change a graph with 2 bars,2 lines to 3 bars, 1 line?

    I have a data set with 3 numbers and a total. I'd like to total to display
    differently than the 3 numbers. I'd prefer a bar chart (side by side, not
    stacked) with a line for the total.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How can I change a graph with 2 bars,2 lines to 3 bars, 1 line?

    Select the series you need to change, then on the Chart menu, select
    Chart Type, and choose a clustered column for this series.

    Next time, don't even frustrate yourself with the custom chart type,
    just start by making a clustered column chart, then select the total out
    of this mess, and use Chart > Chart Type to make it a line.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    IOWAJulie
    Guest

    Re: How can I change a graph with 2 bars,2 lines to 3 bars, 1 line

    Thank you! I thought that would change the entire graph. I don't suppose
    there is a way to do it with side by side, instead of clustered, columns?

    Julie

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How can I change a graph with 2 bars,2 lines to 3 bars, 1 line

    Side by side IS clustered, isn't it? Basically the technique works with
    almost any chart type. If you select just a series, then the type is
    applied just to the selected series.

    - Jon
    -------