Can I Apply Conditional Formatting to a Chart?

  1. #1
    Tim Richards
    Guest

    Can I Apply Conditional Formatting to a Chart?

    I don't agree with my boss's ideas regarding Excel Charts - I think that they
    are to cluttered and become less effective. So, I would like to apply
    conditional formatting via a checkbox to "turn off"(apply white/transparent
    properties)to one or more series in a chart, effectively eliminating the
    overlapping series from view temporarily. Can this be done? Is the answer
    VB?I think this could be very effective in clarifying data that is
    consistently overlapping each other. (Actually I would just make 3 separate
    charts on the same page, but nobody is asking me!)
    Tell me what you think...
    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. #2
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Can I Apply Conditional Formatting to a Chart?

    Hi Tim Richards,

    Check out my and Jon Peltier's answers to 'Click Boxes for each series in a
    graph' on Tuesday, 18 October 2005 5:56 AM in this forum.

    If you want to explore conditional formatting for charts look at the sample
    at http://edferrero.m6.net/charting.aspx or check out Jon's pages at
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...html#CondChart

    Ed Ferrero
    http://edferrero.m6.net/

  3. #3
    Tim Richards
    Guest

    Re: Can I Apply Conditional Formatting to a Chart?

    Ed,
    Thank you for your prompt response. I looked at the links you sent to me and
    saw some great charts, but I don't think I was clear. I need to activate
    conditional formats via a checkbox. This would enable me to check a box and
    temporarily remove a series from the current view (with extensive overlapping
    data points) for clarity(perhaps I could change the color to white as an
    example). As I type this reply, I am realizing that a macro that
    deletes/undeletes a series might be more effective. If the two series have
    extensive overlapping points, turning one of them white may just mask the
    other series... unless it's possible to send that (whitened) series to the
    back as you would with groups.

    Thanks,
    Tim

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Can I Apply Conditional Formatting to a Chart?

    Tim -

    Maybe you can expand upon this example:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html

    - Jon