setting x-axis labels

  1. #1
    lschuh
    Guest

    setting x-axis labels

    I have been trying to select the x-axis data labels. It works ok up to a
    point then clears out all previous selections. Some of the charts will allow
    me to select all the data ranges I want but others don't. Why is this
    happening? I have a worksheet with 35 charts on it. Is there some kind of
    limit?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: setting x-axis labels

    Are you holding the CTRL key and selecting one cell at a time? Excel is building the
    series formula one cell at a time, with a prefix of the sheet name for each cell
    address. Instead of your series formula being nice and compact like this:

    =SERIES("H",Sheet1!$A$2:$A$10,Sheet1!$H$2:$H$10,2)

    it looks like this:

    =SERIES(Sheet1!$H$1,(Sheet1!$A$2,Sheet1!$A$3,Sheet1!$A$4,Sheet1!$A$5,Sheet1!$A$6,Sheet1!$A$7,Sheet1!$A$8,Sheet1!$A$9,Sheet1!$A$10),(Sheet1!$H$2,Sheet1!$H$3,Sheet1!$H$4,Sheet1!$H$5,Sheet1!$H$6,Sheet1!$H$7,Sheet1!$H$8,Sheet1!$H$9,Sheet1!$H$10),1)

    A series formula has a maximum allowed length of around 1024 characters, but more
    limiting is the maximum length of the X values and Y values part of the formula,
    which is a shade under 256.

    Try to get all your data into a contiguous range so you can reference your ranges
    with a single cell reference.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    lschuh
    Guest

    Re: setting x-axis labels

    Thank you. I was doing the control thing. When you go to the help it
    appears that you can have practically an unlimited amount of data points with
    no mention of max. char limits. I should have done what you suggested but
    brought the data in from access and did not want to reformat everything.