finding unknown from a line of best fit

  1. #1
    Sara Beaver
    Guest

    finding unknown from a line of best fit

    Is there a way to use the formula and the line of best fit to plot a point on
    the line using the y-value of an unknown in order to find the precise
    location of the x-value?

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: finding unknown from a line of best fit

    Knowing y doesn't make it easy to find an unique x. Effectively, one
    has invert the function y=f(x) to get x=g(y). Except in a few cases
    such as a linear function, that will not lead to a unique solution. For
    example, the simple y=x^2 yields 2 x values for any given positive y.

    That said, you can get the equation of a line into a XL worksheet range.
    Dave Braden has posted code that I enhanced to do just that. Search the
    google.com archives of the XL NGs.

    You can also directly get the equation of the line of best fit. See
    Trendline coefficients
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ti...efficients.htm

    Finally, for a readymade solution that gives you the result in an
    interactive fashion see
    Interactive Chart
    http://www.tushar-
    mehta.com/excel/software/interactive_chart_display/index.html

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Multi-disciplinary business expertise
    + Technology skills
    = Optimal solution to your business problem
    Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2005

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  3. #3
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: finding unknown from a line of best fit

    For a linear or quadratic, inverting y=f(x) is simple algebra. Cubic or
    quartic polynomials are not as simple, but
    http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq...equations.html
    should get you started.

    There is no general algebraic solution to higher order polynomials, and
    no requirement that there be a closed form inverse of a general function.

    Given the functional relationship, you can numerically invert at a given
    point using Solver.

    If your "best fit" line is the smoothed line connecting the points
    instead of a least squares trendline, then Excel appears to use cubic
    splines for smoothing.

    Jerry