Trendline - split one into two

  1. #1
    Richard
    Guest

    Trendline - split one into two

    All,

    I can't find a way to break a three year/12 qtr trendline apart in Excel
    Charts. I'd like to have one trendline for the first two years (8 qtrs) and
    one for the last year (4 qtrs). Is this possible?

    Thanks,
    Richard

  2. #2
    Roland
    Guest

    RE: Trendline - split one into two

    Yes, plot two data sets, with the same data for for the first 8 quarters, and
    differing data after that.

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Trendline - split one into two

    You need to split the series into two, since a trendline applies to the
    entire series on which it's based..

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    Richard
    Guest

    Re: Trendline - split one into two

    How do I split the series in two and still have the chart look continuous?

  5. #5
    Richard
    Guest

    RE: Trendline - split one into two

    If I try this is there a way to not display the two sets of data on the
    chart? I don't want to have two idential columns for of the first eight
    quarters.

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Trendline - split one into two

    You can hide plotted data by formatting the series with no border, no fill, no
    lines, no markers. You can hide extra legend entries by selecting the legend, then
    the text label of the legend entry (two single clicks), then pressing Delete.

    >>Yes, plot two data sets, with the same data for for the first 8 quarters, and
    >>differing data after that.

    This is not clear. What you need to do is plot this data:

    Before After
    Q1 10
    Q2 15
    Q3 20
    Q4 27
    Q5 31
    Q6 36
    Q7 40
    Q8 47
    Q9 58
    Q10 70
    Q11 81
    Q12 90

    - Jon
    -------

  7. #7
    Richard
    Guest

    Re: Trendline - split one into two

    Jon,
    Ah, thanks, now I'm getting somewhere. One more question - right now I have
    two lines intersecting between qtrs 8 and 9. Is there any way to make the
    line become one with a kink at the intersection (i.e. exclude the "look back"
    trendline based on the final four qtrs and exclude the extrapolated trend
    based on the first eight qtrs)?

    Thanks,
    Richard

  8. #8
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Trendline - split one into two

    You might be better at this point making a custom trendline. Get the
    slope and intercept using LINEST or SLOPE and INTERCEPT, determine the
    point of intersection, and determine the XY pairs for the lowest end of
    the line, the point of intersection, and the highest point on the line.
    Put this combined series onto the chart as an XY series, so you can
    position the X value of the intersection wherever you want. The
    categories are treated as whole numbers, with the first one at X=1.

    - Jon
    -------