Statistical graphing - enhanced box&whiskers

  1. #1
    ACC
    Guest

    Statistical graphing - enhanced box&whiskers

    How do I plot points for data for 2 categorical series, A and B on X-axis and
    the values on Y axis, such that each data point is individually displayed
    (i.e. by looking at the plot, I can see how many in each category had a value
    y, and then add in a box-whisker plot to show the median and 25th and 75th
    percentile - I found the website for Jon Peltier
    (http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/index.html) which helped with the
    box-whisker part of things -

    Thanks much,
    --
    Andrew

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Statistical graphing - enhanced box&whiskers

    You need to do a little work. First, your markers should be in an XY type series,
    not a line series. Rather than using A and B for X, use 1 for A and 2 for B, and
    jigger the X values a little. Use formulas in the worksheet to count the numbers at
    each Y value, and based on this, adjust the X value slightly. For example, if you
    have two values at a given Y, use 0.9 and 1.1 for the two X values; if you have
    three at a given Y, use 0.85, 1.0, and 1.15. Maybe these specific numbers aren't
    exactly right, but you get the idea.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP