need a refresher: text boxes on charts that use relational formulas?

  1. #1
    KR
    Guest

    need a refresher: text boxes on charts that use relational formulas?

    I could have sworn that a long time ago, I set up one or more text boxes on
    a graph that had formulas in them, so the text that was showing would
    automatically change each month.

    I'm now using Win2000/XL2003, and not having much luck- I want to put my
    legend on the bottom, then a text box under it where I will show 3 values
    (one for each legend item) to provide some additional information on the
    graph. I have too many graphs to do this and have to update it all manually.

    What is the best approach to use, to link the contents of my text box (or
    similar) to the contents of a cell that on my sheet?

    Thanks!
    Keith

    --
    The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent the
    thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: need a refresher: text boxes on charts that use relational formulas?

    Hi,

    The textboxes can be linked to cells. The cells hold the formulas.
    To link a textbox to a cell just select the textbox and then goto the
    formula bar, F2, and type = and then click the required cell. Or you can
    manually type the cell reference, for example =Sheet1!$A$1

    This explains linking the charttitle to a cell but the principle works
    for textboxes in a chart.
    http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    KR
    Guest

    Re: need a refresher: text boxes on charts that use relational formulas?

    Most excellent- I was trying to cram the formula directly into the textbox,
    and as you can imagine, I was unsuccessful.
    Thanks for the help!
    Keith

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Denmark
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 365
    This might be old hat, but just in case you have not heard of the trick:
    Assume you have the result of your calculations in cell A1 and A2. In cell B1 you write:
    ="Result of Calculations "&A1&" and "&A2
    and then refer to cell B1 in the textbox.

    Often the result is not a nice number and the you get all the 13-or-whatever digits. One solution is to write
    ="Result of calculations "&ROUND(A1,2-INT(LOG(ABS(A1))))&" and "&ROUND(A2,2-INT(LOG(ABS(A2))))
    but you can also round down in another cell and refer to that.

    NSV