Turning an equation into a graph

  1. #1
    Steffi
    Guest

    Turning an equation into a graph

    For a school assignment I have to turn a number of equations into a graph.
    for example y=-56 over 2197 (X+38.5)to the third -7 when X = -45.

    HELP!!!

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Turning an equation into a graph

    Steffi -

    Here's the easy way. In column A (starting in A2) type a series of
    typical X values from within the range of interest. In B2 type the
    formula, referring to A2 as the variable X, and fill this down alongside
    all of your X values. I can't parse your formula, but here's an example.

    Suppose you want Y = 12 + 13 X - 0.003* X^2

    In B2 enter this formula:

    =12+13*A2-0.003*A2^2

    You can fill this down by selecting B2, and double clicking on the small
    black square at the bottom right of the highlighting rectangle.

    Now make your chart from the data in columns A and B. Make an XY chart,
    not a line chart.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Turning an equation into a graph

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > For a school assignment I have to turn a number of equations into a graph.
    > for example y=-56 over 2197 (X+38.5)to the third -7 when X = -45.
    >
    > HELP!!!

    In addition to Jon's do-it-yourself approach, also look at
    PLOT manager
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/so...ger/index.html

    Does something similar but concentrates its efforts where the function
    is more curvy.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions