Excel2003: Axis labels are truncated

  1. #1
    David Burr
    Guest

    Excel2003: Axis labels are truncated

    I would be grateful if someone could help me with this problem as despite
    throwing a lot of time at it I cannot seem to find a solution.

    I have a horizontal bar chart with labels against the side axis. The labels
    are being truncated.

    Is there a way to force Excel to devote more space to the labels and less to
    the chart? As I resize the chart it doesn't seem to allow me to devote more
    space to the labels.

    At one stage in desparation I considered using a text box to display the
    labels. However having separate text boxes for each of the 30 different data
    points on 8 different charts just isn't workable. If I could find a way of
    having just one text box for each chart and setting the contents of the box
    to equal the values in the spreadsheet that would I guess be ok. The problem
    I had was inserting carriage returns so that each label would appear on a
    new line in the text box. I couldn't crack that so I went back to trying to
    resize the width of the chart labels relative to the chart itself.

    Many thanks for any help

    David Burr

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Excel2003: Axis labels are truncated

    I've added a couple of spaces and a period to "fix" this and then format the
    period so that it's the same color as the background. Unfortunately, I've
    had difficulty doing even that lately.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David Burr
    Guest

    Re: Excel2003: Axis labels are truncated

    Thanks for your reply but I can't see how adding extra characters would
    help. My current problem is that Excel won't devote enough space to
    displaying the current contents of the labels. If I add characters won't it
    worsen the situation?

    Is there really no fix for the underlying problem? Seems like a real
    deficiency!

    news:[email protected]...