Getting a cell reference to move laterally instead of vertically?

  1. #1
    Melonhead
    Guest

    Getting a cell reference to move laterally instead of vertically?

    I have data that is sorted in columns, but the data I want to graph is a
    cross section of this data and therefore it comes from one row across several
    columns. I'm trying sort my graph/equation data in a column, however. Is
    there a way to get the equation cell references to move across a row even
    while the cell is descending a column?

  2. #2
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Getting a cell reference to move laterally instead of vertically?

    You can do it on a range using the TRANSPOSE function (array entered), or
    you may want to take a look at the OFFSET function, which takes a row and
    column argument. Use the ROW() function to generate the column argument and
    you will be able to copy the formula down a column and have the references
    go across a row, eg:-

    Assuming your data was in E4:L4 and you wanted your formula to start in say
    A6 and then copy downwards.

    In A6 use =OFFSET($E$4,0,ROW()-6) and copy down. Note the ROW()-6 bit.
    When you are in row 6 the ROW() bit gives you 6, whilst the -6 bit turns it
    into 6-6=0. Therefore the first column offset argument is 0. When you move
    to row 7 the ROW() bit gives you 7, whilst the -6 bit turns it into 7-6=1,
    so the column argument is 1 etc

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03