Disappearing scales on bar charts with multiple series

  1. #1
    Patrick
    Guest

    Disappearing scales on bar charts with multiple series

    I am trying to create a bar chart with multiple series in Excel 2003. I have
    x and y data, but the x-axis has to be the same for all series or it takes
    the x-values of the last series created. My problem is not the scale. It is
    getting two series to appear independent of each other. Using bar charts
    forces a comparison of the two series, but I simply need to plot data for
    each series. Should I be using a different chart type? If so, what is it?
    -- Thanks,
    Patrick

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Disappearing scales on bar charts with multiple series

    Hi,

    If you have true x and y data maybe you should be plotting an x and y
    chart. You can format the series so only markers are shown and remove
    the connecting line.
    If you need a column chart then perhaps staggering the data may help.
    For example the first series is in column A rows 1 to 10 and the second
    series is in column B for rows 11 to 20. Highlight range A1:B20 and
    chart that.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Patrick
    Guest

    Re: Disappearing scales on bar charts with multiple series

    Thanks Andy. The solution that you stated in your second paragraph did the
    trick. I figured it out late morning. Thanks again for responding.
    --
    Patrick

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Disappearing scales on bar charts with multiple series

    Thanks for letting us know