Category axis in bubble chart

  1. #1
    Eric27
    Guest

    Category axis in bubble chart

    Hi,

    I would like to draw a bubble chart with category axis eg.
    with following data:

    mon sun 5
    mon rain 4
    tue sun 1
    tue cloudy 2
    tue rain 7
    wed sun 3
    wed rain 8
    wed cloudy 4

    So on the x-axis I would like to see the labels mon, tue, wed; on the
    y-axis
    sun, cloudy, rain and the size of the bubbles is given by the numbers.

    Is this possible in Excel XP and how to proceed?

    Thx for your attention,

    Eric

    Mijn Postvak In wordt beschermd door SPAMfighter
    Download de gratis www.SPAMfighter.com vandaag nog!

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Category axis in bubble chart

    Replace the weather adjectives by numerical values (1=snow, 2=rain,
    3=cloudy, 4=sunny), and plot these values. Hide the "normal" axis labels,
    and place textboxes along the axis with these labels.

    Normally I propose a combination chart, such as this:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Y_CategoryAxis.html

    but a bubble chart doesn't do combos. However, you could add a bubble series
    along the Y axis, then hide the bubbles (no border, no fill), as in the
    above example.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP