Displaying single and multiple data series.Single data series

  1. #1
    Donald Macleod
    Guest

    Displaying single and multiple data series.Single data series

    I was asked to produce a chart displaying outstanding staff appraisals for 4
    regional offices. The data used is 'sales', 'admin' and '%age of total
    staff', (the total staff being those employed in that region) . I managed to
    produce a chart showing 4 sets of 3 columns, a nice colour scheme, separate
    sheets generated for each month, etc.

    Now I've been asked to include a 'reference' column which just shows the
    total staff for all 4 offices. This sounded simple but hasn't turned out
    that way.

    I have produced another data series and selected a single cell as the data
    source but while this displays on the chart, Excel assumes I want it shown
    with the first set of data and that I also want a blank column on each of
    data sets 2-4. What I really want is for this column to be separate from the
    others and shown on the left.

    Any help appreciated would be appreciated. Even being told it isn't possible
    would be a step forward.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Displaying single and multiple data series.Single data series

    Set up your data as shown below:

    Sales Admin %Total Reference

    Reference [data]

    Office A [data] [data] [data]

    Office B [data] [data] [data]

    Office C [data] [data] [data]

    Office D [data] [data] [data]

    Select the entire range, and create a clustered column chart. Double click
    on the Reference data point (the lonely column above the first category),
    and on the Axis tab, select Secondary. Select Chart Options from the Chart
    menu, and on the Axes tab, uncheck the Secondary Y Axis box.

    Voila.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Displaying single and multiple data series.Single data series

    The table didn't paste correctly from Notepad. Here's what the data should
    look like:

    Sales Admin %Total Reference
    Reference [data]
    Office A [data] [data] [data]
    Office B [data] [data] [data]
    Office C [data] [data] [data]
    Office D [data] [data] [data]

    Top left cell must be blank, completely clear.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services