changing the color of a single bar on a graph

  1. #1
    Brian
    Guest

    changing the color of a single bar on a graph

    I am creating a bar graph that, for example, list a class full of students
    and their grades on an assignment. I want to be able to graph all of the
    results, have the graph all in the same color, and then enter in a cell the
    student ID I am reviewing, then have the graph update to change the color of
    that student's grade on the chart. As this is going to be a lookup tool, I
    need this to be like a macro that changes the graph automatically versus
    clicking on it and doing it manually. Anyone able to help?

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: changing the color of a single bar on a graph

    Hi,

    You can do this with 2 data series and some worksheet formula.
    Example data in cells A1:C7. Where current student is in A1.

    4 Grade Hilite
    Stu-1 10 =IF($A$1=1,B2,NA())
    Stu-2 20 =IF($A$1=2,B3,NA())
    Stu-3 30 =IF($A$1=3,B4,NA())
    Stu-4 40 =IF($A$1=4,B5,NA())
    Stu-5 50 =IF($A$1=5,B6,NA())
    Stu-6 60 =IF($A$1=6,B7,NA())

    Select range A1:C7 and create a column chart with 2 data series.
    Double click a column and on the Options tab set the Overlap value to
    100. This will place the selected students scores infront of the other
    students. Simple change the student number in A1 to update the chart.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel