zero value remove chart

  1. #1
    Graeme
    Guest

    zero value remove chart

    I want to plot a chart but only show data labels for the values which are
    greater than zero. I cannot find a way to remove the zero values and have a
    chart which has a large amount of worthless data labels. How can
    automatically remove them?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: zero value remove chart

    Apply a number format that hides zeros. A custom number format has four
    parts, separated by semicolons:

    0.00;-0.00;-;@

    The four parts are for positive, negative, zero, and text values. Remove the
    item in the zero's spot:

    0.00;-0.00;;@

    More on number formats:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/NumberFormats.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    James Silverton
    Guest

    Cell formats and grid lines.

    Jon wrote on Wed, 23 Nov 2005 07:54:26 -0500:

    JP> 0.00;-0.00;-;@

    JP> The four parts are for positive, negative, zero, and text
    JP> values. Remove the item in the zero's spot:

    JP> 0.00;-0.00;;@

    JP> More on number formats:

    JP> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/NumberFormats.html

    Again, making a comment while not the OP, that is a fascinating
    discussion Jon. I was particularly interested to find out for
    the first time how to change the color of a particular value.

    A rather similar problem has intrigued me for some time: is it
    possible to change a gridline for a particular value to a
    different thickness or color? I can find a use for this when the
    zero value for the y-axis is inside the chart rather than along
    an edge.

    Again, thanks in advance and my apologies if I should have been
    able to find this in Help.

    James Silverton.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Cell formats and grid lines.

    Official Excel gridlines are one color/style only. There are ways to fake a
    gridline:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...Gridlines.html

    What you might want, if the zero is between the min and max, is to keep the
    axis (a distinct line) at zero, but change the label position to "Low" so
    they're out of the way.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    James Silverton

    Jon wrote on Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:46:24 -0500:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...Gridlines.html
    JP> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html

    JP> What you might want, if the zero is between the min and
    JP> max, is to keep the axis (a distinct line) at zero, but
    JP> change the label position to "Low" so they're out of the
    JP> way.

    ??>> Some clipping of less relevant information <<<<<<<<<<<<<

    ??>> A rather similar problem has intrigued me for some time:
    is it
    ??>> possible to change a gridline for a particular value to a
    ??>> different thickness or color? I can find a use for this
    ??>> when the zero value for the y-axis is inside the chart
    ??>> rather than along an edge.

    Thanks again Jon for a very prompt reply and some fascinating
    information. I will have to read your two web pages very
    carefully. It is a pity that the Excel programmers have never
    thought of implementing my idea.

    James Silverton.

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Cell formats and grid lines.

    "James Silverton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jon wrote on Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:46:24 -0500:
    >
    > JP> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...Gridlines.html
    > JP> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html
    >
    > JP> What you might want, if the zero is between the min and
    > JP> max, is to keep the axis (a distinct line) at zero, but
    > JP> change the label position to "Low" so they're out of the
    > JP> way.
    >
    > ??>> Some clipping of less relevant information <<<<<<<<<<<<<
    >
    > ??>> A rather similar problem has intrigued me for some time: is it
    > ??>> possible to change a gridline for a particular value to a
    > ??>> different thickness or color? I can find a use for this
    > ??>> when the zero value for the y-axis is inside the chart
    > ??>> rather than along an edge.
    >
    > Thanks again Jon for a very prompt reply and some fascinating information.
    > I will have to read your two web pages very carefully. It is a pity that
    > the Excel programmers have never thought of implementing my idea.
    >
    > James Silverton.

    To be fair, I don't think the Excel designers envisioned half of the ways we
    abuse and contort their charting module. I'm always glad they made it as
    flexible as they did, so I can add features I want the way I want.

    - Jon
    -------