Creating a chart of overlaid area circles?

  1. #1
    m.nutt1
    Guest

    Creating a chart of overlaid area circles?

    Can anyone help?

    I am trying to create a chart that contrasts size by laying 3 different
    sized circles on top of each other (so it will basically look like a shooting
    target). I know i can represent this data in other ways but this will have
    greatest impact for the purpose.

    Can Excel do this? And if so, how? - Please bear in mind I am not very techy
    so the simpler the better!

    Thanks very much

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Creating a chart of overlaid area circles?

    Hi,

    You could use a bubble chart. That takes 3 parameters x,y and size.
    keep the x and y constant and adjust the size.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    m.nutt1
    Guest

    Re: Creating a chart of overlaid area circles?

    Thanks for the reply Andy

    I'm really not very clued up on these things though and don't seem to be
    able to make it work. I have 3 values - 1800000000, 700000000 and 1500000. I
    have tried entering them various ways round in the x, y and size boxes but
    just seem to get one circle drawn on an axis.

    Sorry to be so ill-informed, any further help you can give me would me much
    appreciated

    Thanks again
    Mark

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Creating a chart of overlaid area circles?

    Hi,

    Here is how to create it but your data may not give you the effect you
    are after.
    In cells A1:C3 enter the following
    1 1 1800000000
    1 1 700000000
    1 1 1500000

    Select A1:C1 and use the chart wizard to create a bubble chart.
    Now select A2:C2 and drag and drop cells on to chart accepting dialog
    box settings. This should add the 2nd circle. Repeat for A3:C3.

    You can set the x and y axis maximum values to be 2 in order to center
    the bubbles.

    If you wanted a more bullseye target effect then a pie/donut chart might
    work better.
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/pies.htm

    Cheers
    Andy