The history of spread sheets

  1. #1
    James Silverton
    Guest

    The history of spread sheets

    Hello, All!

    While ruminating on missing (IMHO) features in Excel, it
    occurred to me to wonder if anyone has written a history of
    spreadsheets? I did not become familiar with multipurpose
    spreadsheets until just before I retired and I wondered how long
    after introduction were graphs added to Excel and the like?

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland, USA

  2. #2
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: The history of spread sheets

    Hi James,

    See John Walkenbach's site
    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/history/index.htm
    for a brief history.

    Ed Ferrero
    http://www.edferrero.com

  3. #3
    James Silverton

    Ed wrote on Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:51:01 +1100:

    EF> See John Walkenbach's site
    EF> http://www.j-walk.com/ss/history/index.htm
    EF> for a brief history.

    EF> Ed Ferrero
    EF> http://www.edferrero.com

    ??>> Hello, All!
    ??>>
    ??>> While ruminating on missing (IMHO) features in Excel, it
    ??>> occurred to me to wonder if anyone has written a history
    ??>> of spreadsheets? I did not become familiar with
    ??>> multipurpose spreadsheets until just before I retired and
    ??>> I wondered how long after introduction were graphs added
    ??>> to Excel and the like?
    ??>>
    ??>> James Silverton
    ??>> Potomac, Maryland, USA

    Thank you; that page of Walkenbach's is a gateway to some very
    interesting stuff! I should also admit that googling spreadsheet
    history, as I should have done before asking, brought up more
    than I ever needed to know!

    James Silverton.

  4. #4
    James Silverton

    James wrote to Ed Ferrero on Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:08:12 -0500:

    EF>> See John Walkenbach's site
    EF>> http://www.j-walk.com/ss/history/index.htm
    ??>>> I wondered how long after introduction were graphs added

    JS> Thank you; that page of Walkenbach's is a gateway to some
    JS> very interesting stuff!

    JS> After investigating, it seems to me that Lotus 1-2-3 was
    JS> the first computer spreadsheet to have graphics capability.
    JS> Can anyone say if I am right or wrong?

    James Silverton
    Potomac, MD..

  5. #5
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: The history of spread sheets

    Hi James,

    > JS> After investigating, it seems to me that Lotus 1-2-3 was
    > JS> the first computer spreadsheet to have graphics capability.
    > JS> Can anyone say if I am right or wrong?

    It is always difficult to pin down a 'first' in this sort of thing. The
    first company to do something is often overshadowed by the first company to
    popularise it.

    Visicalc is probably the first shpreadsheet with integrated graphics. See
    this quote from
    http://dssresources.com/history/sshistory30.html
    "From: Jim Ho
    Subject: Visicalc on HP85 & 87
    To: [email protected]

    Sir,
    I was reading your "A Brief History of Spreadsheets" and thought you might
    want to include the fact that Visicalc was also available on the HP85 and 87
    in the early 80's.

    I found it more useful than the Apple version because it had graph plotting
    and statistical analysis in the same package. At the time, the HP plotter
    had just appeared so we could produce colour charts on paper or
    transparencies for presentation.

    The MIS folks were most disturbed because they could see the writing on the
    wall. The Honeywell that was just installed for $10 million could not do
    what the HP85 was doing for less than $10K! I can still remember the sad
    look on the manager's face when I showed him the colour plots. Our summer
    students would spend hours watching the plotter perform its stuff. Those
    were fun days.

    Jim."

    Context MBA released in 1981 handled graphs, databases, word processing, and
    telecommunications.

    Multiplan for the Mac (1984) had integrated charting (I think).

    Certainly the first spreadsheet that impressed me with its inbuilt charting
    was Quattro Pro. released in 1989. The advantage for me was that it ran in
    DOS so I could actually use it in a corporate environment.

    See:

    http://www.secretguide.net/read/inde...e=spreadsheets

    http://www.aresluna.org/attached/com...nifyandconquer

    Ed Ferrero