Chart Automation

  1. #1
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094

    Chart Automation

    Not sure if this is possible but it would certainly save me a lot of time each month. I have a presentation that has about 50 charts. The source data (which is in a different workbook) for the charts runs like:

    Column 1/Columns 2 through whatever.
    Month /Data

    The first row is all headers that act as the Chart Title and should remain constant.

    Here's my dilemna. My months range from January 2005 - June 2006. Each new month, the cells are populated with the respective data. Not a problem. My presentation, however, should only show the last 3 months worth of data i.e. in early December I report on Sept/Oct/Nov.

    What I am currently doing is going in manually at months end and changing the data series from last months (Aug/Sept/Oct) to the new series (Sept/Oct/Nov). With 50 charts, this is very time consuming. What I am looking for is a way to automate this process. Would I be able to use a control or something along those lines? I assume that VB would be involved and of course, that is not my forte.

    Any help is much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Steve

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Chart Automation

    Hi,

    You need a dynamic chart based on a named range. No VBA required.
    Jon Peltier has instructions for one that plots the last 12 periods but
    you can easily modify this to only do 3 months.
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DynamicLast12.html

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Thanks for the info Andy. I made a quick go of it but unfortunately could not get it to work correctly. Not enough time to troubleshoot at the moment but I am sure I can figure it out.

    Thanks again.

    Steve