combination x-y scatter and column graph

  1. #1
    David
    Guest

    combination x-y scatter and column graph

    Is it possible to produce and combination scatter / column graph with
    *different* numbers of data points in each series?

    It's kind of hard to explain what I mean, but imagine beng able to have one
    of the series on a plane scatter graph drawn as rectangles from the x-axis to
    the point and being able to specify the width of these rectangles as an
    absolute number.

    Whenever I try to set a series with many points in it to scatter and a
    series wth only a few points in it to column, Excel produces garbage. It
    seems to want to use a column graph sort of x-axis, not a scatter plot sort
    of x-axis.

    If you have octave (or maybe matlab) lying around, this is the sort of thing
    I mean:

    octave:1> x1=-3.5:0.1:3.5;
    octave:2> y1=normal_pdf(x1);
    octave:3> x2=-3:0.5:3;
    octave:4> y2=normal_pdf(x2);
    octave:5> [x2 y2]=bar(x2, y2);
    octave:6> plot(x1, y1, x2, y2)

    cheers

    dc

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: combination x-y scatter and column graph

    Realize you have to add a series, then change its type. Start by using the
    column data to create a column chart. Then add the X and Y data for the XY
    series, which Excel at first adds as a column chart, and it usually looks
    awful. Select the added series, and use Chart Type on the Chart menu to
    change it to an XY type.

    If you want variable width columns, there's more work involved, but it's
    certainly possible:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...thColumns.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    David

    "Jon Peltier" wrote:

    > Realize you have to add a series, then change its type. Start by using the
    > column data to create a column chart. Then add the X and Y data for the XY
    > series, which Excel at first adds as a column chart, and it usually looks
    > awful. Select the added series, and use Chart Type on the Chart menu to
    > change it to an XY type.

    Hi Jon,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I ticked yes, this answers my question, but on closer inspection I see that
    it doesn't quite do what I want.

    Following your instructions gives me scatter data using a secondary x-axis
    (which for some reason I hadn't so far been able to do - and this at least
    gives better results).

    In the example I gave in my original post, the column data uses a scale from
    -3 to 3 and the scatter data used a scale from -3.5 to 3.5.

    With some fiddling, I can add an extra blank category either side of the
    column data so it also goes from -3.5 to 3.5 and then format the secondary x
    axis so that -t goes from -3.75 to 3.75, which gives me the same scale on the
    two axes (since the column widths are 0.5). I can jump through more hoops
    (turn off tick marks and tick labels) to hide most elements of this secondary
    axis, producing a reasonable graph.

    It is not straight forward to get the two scales to line up because one is
    categorical and one is continuous. I really want the column data to be on a
    continuous sort of axis at the same scale as the scatter data.

    But maybe this is as good as Excel can do.

    cheers,

    dc

  4. #4
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: combination x-y scatter and column graph

    David -

    Some of the ideas described in my Better Histogram article at
    www.treeplan.com may be useful.

    - Mike

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: combination x-y scatter and column graph

    David -

    You can share axes.

    Use this data to make a column chart:

    Column
    -3 4
    -2 5
    -1 6
    0 7
    1 8
    2 9
    3 10

    Add this (manufactured) data to the chart as a new series, then select the
    new series and change it to an XY type:

    XY

    -2.93636 4

    3.079892 5

    -3.25493 6

    -1.05927 7

    -3.04437 8

    2.857509 9

    1.644909 10

    It uses -4 to +4 as its X axis range. If you go to Chart Options on the
    Chart menu, Axes tab, and uncheck the secondary X axis, some of the XY
    points still appear, and they appear at continuously varying horizontal
    positions, but they are offset from where you want them.

    If you use a category axis for an XY series, it assumes the category values
    are 1 for the first category, 2 for the second, etc. In the column chart,
    the effective X axis values are -3.5 to +3.5, since the Y axis is moved to
    the left of the first category ("between categories" in the dialog). This
    means your X values will think the axis ranges from 0.5 to 7.5.

    Instead of the last set of data, use this set for your XY series, where the
    X values are related to those above by adding 4:

    XY

    1.063642 4

    7.079892 5

    0.745069 6

    2.940726 7

    0.955635 8

    6.857509 9

    5.644909 10

    Add the series, convert to XY, then go to Chart Options from the Chart menu,
    Axes tab, and uncheck the secondary X and Y axes.

    - Jon
    -------

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: combination x-y scatter and column graph

    You can even format the XY series so it's plotted on the primary axes with
    the columns (double click on the series, then use the Axis tab). You still
    need to add 4 to the values to make them plot properly.

    Note that the data ranges I showed in my previous post should not have blank
    lines. I've just started using Outlook Express for newsgroups, and I've
    learned that the formatting options you set for OE are not very robust, and
    you can't readily import tables from Excel or Word without strange stuff
    like this happening.

    I would have expected OE to interact better with Excel and Word than
    Netscape does.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP