Error bars-repost

  1. #1
    NTE
    Guest

    Error bars-repost

    Reposting since I wasn't subscribed the first time....

    Microsoft Excel 2002 SP3.
    I have data that looks like this:
    Median Min Max
    Na 0.032617 0.000106 0.387142
    Cl 0.0265 0.000017 0.282087
    Ca 0.000524 0.0000047 0.0059883
    K 0.005523 0.000007 0.038365
    Mg 0.0000823 0.0000001 0.0018515
    PO4 0.00031 0.00002 0.00105
    HCO3 0.001655 0.000262 0.003048
    I'm doing a line plot with the first column as the categorical x axis,
    and the second column, median, on the y-axis, which is logarithmic. I
    then set up error bars using the values in the min and max column
    (columns 3 and 4 above) as custom values in the "error amount" part of
    the format data series dialog. The max values would be for the plus
    side of the error bar, and the min values are for the minus side.

    I thought this would work perfectly, however, only the plus side of the
    error bar is showing up, not the minus side. And in the format data
    series dialog I DO have it set to show both.

    So, I was wondering if anyone had run into this before, and if there is
    a reason and a solution. I want the minus part of the error bars to
    show.

    Thank you,
    Nicole

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Error bars-repost

    Scroll back to see my response to your other post.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    vandenberg p
    Guest

    Re: Error bars-repost

    The problem in this case is that the custom error bar expects
    the values to be the "amount of the error" (see help file)
    As I understand it your min and max are the upper and
    lower limit of the values Min = Median - error and
    Max = Median + error.

    I changed the values so that Min is only the minus error
    and Max is the positive error. The logarithmic line chart
    worked perfectly.

    Here are the values:

    Median Minus Plus
    Na 0.032617 0.032511 0.354525
    Cl 0.0265 0.026483 0.255587
    Ca 0.000524 0.0005193 0.0054643
    K 0.005523 0.005516 0.032842
    Mg 0.0000823 0.0000822 0.0017692
    PO4 0.00031 0.00029 0.00074
    HCO3 0.001655 0.001393 0.001393

    The logarithmic scale worked because none of the
    value went negative, some (Mg) came close.

    Pieter Vandenberg

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Error bars-repost

    In the more recent thread, Nicole learned that the error bars need to use
    the difference, not the absolute minimum and maximum values. This cleared up
    the problem.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP