[SOLVED] Complicated Stacked Bar Chart?

  1. #1
    Don Cardoza
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Complicated Stacked Bar Chart?

    Complicated being relative of course....

    I have areas on my worksheet with 2 ranges (data similar to the
    following)...

    PRODUCT A
    North South East West
    Don 50 20 40 20
    Mike 30 30 50 30

    PRODUCT B
    North South East West
    Don 10 30 40 30
    Mike 20 40 20 15

    It's very simple to create a 3D chart using just ONE of the data ranges.
    (individually with Mike and Don, and Region)

    What I would like to do is to STACK the values of product B on top of those
    values for Product A. I would then not care that Don and Mike had the same
    color because I can view then on their axis, I WOULD want the legend to
    reflect product, with one product having one color, and the second product
    having another color.

    For example, Don's Value of 10 for Product B North would be stack on Don's
    vaue of 50 for North Product A for a total of 60. Each product has it's own
    color code.... (It's preserves the depth, showing Name and Region on their
    own axis, but with values of the products stacked.)

    I tried adding data series manually, but my efforts have been futile.

    Can anyone please help? Thank you so very much in advance.....

    FWIW, I could create a pivot table easily (grouped by name AND product) but
    I don't think that would help my cause

    North South East West
    Don A 10 20 30 40
    Don B 20 30 40 50
    Mike A 30 40 20 30
    Mike B 10 20 30 40

    Again, thank you.... I would owe someone big time.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Stacked Bar Chart?

    Excel doesn't support stacked 3D column charts. It supports stacked column
    charts with 3D effects, but it's really only a 2D chart. I've seen cases
    where multiple of these latter charts are produced, and their backgrounds
    made transparent, so you could arrange them in front of each other to get
    the effect. A lot of work for a dubious result, IMO.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services