[SOLVED] Is there a limit to the number of points in a chart source data

  1. #1
    jantoni
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Is there a limit to the number of points in a chart source data

    I'm trying to put in a value range in a chart. The cells are every other
    cell. When I start selecting the cells I can only click on 10 cells. On
    number 11 I get a bell sound and the value source data block goes back to
    displaying only a =.

    Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Thx

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Is there a limit to the number of points in a chart source data

    Hi,

    There is a limit to the number of data points, 32k, but that is not the
    limit you are hitting. The series formula has a limit.
    The series formula looks something like this. This is for a chart based
    on data in B2:B5 with axis labels in A2:A5 and series name in B1.

    =SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$5,1)

    this is the same chart but with on two non-adjacent cells.
    =SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,(Sheet1!$A$2,Sheet1!$A$4),(Sheet1!$B$2,Sheet1!$B$4),1)

    Notice the formula is longer but with fewer data points. The length of
    the formula is approx 1000 characters. So you can how quickly you are
    going to exceed the limit with only a few points.

    The way around this is to build a contiguous array of chart data.

    Jon Peltier has some more detailed explanation on charts and the data
    sources.
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...esFormula.html
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...iffSheets.html

    Cheers