Closed Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Need help building chart to track trends between two different sets of data

  1. #1
    Jack Black
    Guest

    Need help building chart to track trends between two different sets of data

    Hi, all! I need to build a chart (for example, a 3D Area Chart) that will
    display the trend between two disparate sets of data. Now, I can't have the
    two side-by side, because one set of data falls in the 0-20 range(ish) while
    the second contains large cash values (cost of a precious metal, for
    example).

    Is there any way to build this chart so the smaller set of data uses a
    different scale than the second set of data, without displaying incorrect
    values? I considered applying a factor to the small value data set, but
    that just displays incorrect values on the axis.

    Any suggestions would be helpful. I've seen some examples of a Split-Y axis
    graph, but I'm not sure that'll work...
    SteveB

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Need help building chart to track trends between two different sets of data

    Could you put one series on the secondary axis? Well, assuming you're
    willing to dispense with the false 3D effects and revert to a standard area,
    line, or xy chart. Double click either series, and on the Axis tab, select
    Secondary. If you use Area charts, the secondary axis series will be in
    front of the primary axis series, so you either have to carefully select
    which to switch axes, or switch to a line chart, or maybe keep the primary
    axis series as an area type and switch the secondary axis series to a line
    type.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    "Jack Black" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, all! I need to build a chart (for example, a 3D Area Chart) that will
    > display the trend between two disparate sets of data. Now, I can't have
    > the two side-by side, because one set of data falls in the 0-20 range(ish)
    > while the second contains large cash values (cost of a precious metal, for
    > example).
    >
    > Is there any way to build this chart so the smaller set of data uses a
    > different scale than the second set of data, without displaying incorrect
    > values? I considered applying a factor to the small value data set, but
    > that just displays incorrect values on the axis.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be helpful. I've seen some examples of a Split-Y
    > axis graph, but I'm not sure that'll work...
    > SteveB

Closed Thread