X Axis:Change Numbers on Chart ? Please Help!

  1. #1
    CWriter81
    Guest

    X Axis:Change Numbers on Chart ? Please Help!

    Hello -

    I'm working on a project and using an Excel Chart for the first time.

    I need the numbers on the X axis to reflect specific numbers (1.1, 1.2, 1.3,
    1.4, 1.5, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, etc.) for a total
    of 26 different numbers. I cannot change them, and have tried looking up
    "relabel x axis", "name x axis" etc. Nothing seems to work.

    All that I can get it to do is go from 1.0 to 26.0 - I can't figure out how
    to customize the numbers displayed in the x axis of my chart. Can someone
    please help me with this? I've spent hours trying to work it out and can't do
    it alone.

    Cheers and I look so forward to anyone's help.

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: X Axis:Change Numbers on Chart ? Please Help!

    Hi,

    To get those values to display you will need to fake the axis labels
    using an additional data series and it's data labels.
    Jon Peltier has an explanation of constructing arbitrary axes that you
    should be able to adapt to your data.
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

    You will need to add a set of x and y values where the x is the point
    you want displayed (eg. 1.1, 1.2 etc) and the y values will all be zero.
    Show the x value in the data label and change the data label alignment
    to Below.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: X Axis:Change Numbers on Chart ? Please Help!

    This requires a simpler approach than Andy's suggestion.

    If you want the numbers to show up as labels, without any regard to their
    underlying value (i.e., consecutive labels 1.4 and 1.5 as far apart as
    consecutive labels 1.5 and 2.1), have these values in a worksheet range
    parallel to the Y values, and include them in the series data. To do this,
    choose Source Data from the Chart menu, click on the Series tab, select the
    series, click in the empty Category (X) Axis Labels box, and select the
    range containing the labels.

    If you want the X values to reflect the values in this range, make sure the
    series uses this range as the X data, and use an XY chart, not a line chart.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services