How do I make a graph of the frequency names come up in a column?

  1. #1
    gziomek
    Guest

    How do I make a graph of the frequency names come up in a column?

    I have a column of several different names, most of which come up several
    times. I would like to make a graph of which names appear the most
    frequently. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this for the life of
    me.

  2. #2
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: How do I make a graph of the frequency names come up in a column?

    gziomek -

    Use either (1) a pivot table or (2) COUNTIF worksheet functions.

    For a pivot table, enter a label (e.g., Names) as the top cell of the
    column. Choose Data | Pivot Table ..., and for Layout use Names for both Row
    and Data entries.

    (I think the array-entered FREQUENCY worksheet function can be used only to
    count numerical values.)

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I make a graph of the frequency names come up in a column?

    Bummer. I posted yesterday or today to use Frequency for a list of names.
    Now where did that post go, so I can fix it?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    gziomek
    Guest

    Re: How do I make a graph of the frequency names come up in a colu

    I'm having some trouble with both COUNTIF and pivot tables. I'm fairly new
    to using functions in Excel, sorry.