Increaseing Precision in polynomial trendline equations

  1. #1

    Increaseing Precision in polynomial trendline equations

    How can I increase the precision in Excel's "Display Equation" option for trendlines?

    I am trying to fit a polynomial regression (trendline) to a X, Y scatterplot I have created.

    Excel's built-in trendline function shows a good fit (R2=0.9999) for a 6th order polynomial, however, If I re-plot the data using the coefficients from the "Display equation" option, the data diverge significantly.

    Apparently, for high order polynomials, you need to have a high level of precision in your coefficients (many decimal places accurate) in order to actually re-plot the same curve.

    I also tried using the "linest" function as described in Mr. Liengme's website (http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...olynomial.htm), however, I can't seem to make this work properly. I can make it calculate, but the values don't match data.

    Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Kevin

    PS Here is the equation that Excel displays on my chart;

    y = 4E-09x6 - 9E-07x5 + 8E-05x4 - 0.0038x3 + 0.0996x2 - 1.5179x + 45.146

    I am using Excel 2004 for Mac (OSX) Ver11.2

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Increaseing Precision in polynomial trendline equations

    For a 6th order polynomial:
    select a block 7 columns wide, 5 rows deep
    enter =LINEST(y-range, x-range^{1,2,3,4,5,6},TRUE,TRUE)
    press SHIFT+CTRL+ENTER (hold Shift down, hold CTRL down and the tap the
    ENTER key)
    the top line will display your coefficients

    by the way: do you have a good reason for fitting to a 6th order?
    how many data points?

    happy new year

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    "KevinW" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    different coeffecients returned using LINEST

    Dr Liengme;

    Thanks for your quick reply.

    I had previously extended the example from your website from a 3rd order poly to a 6th order, no problem. At least it returned values for all for all the cells. Unfortunately, the coefficients don't make sense. When I try to re-create the curve using those values, the curve does not match.

    I would expect that the results be fairly similar to that shown by Excel in the "display equation" option, however they are obviously different.

    I've tried to re-create your 3rd order polynomial example exactly as you have displayed it on your webpage, but without success. Instead of the coefficients,

    {2,3,-6,8}

    I get;

    {2.16667, 2, 148.8333, -152.333}.

    Clearly, I am having the same issue with the higher order polynomials. As far as I can tell, I am recreating your example and the LINEST function exactly as you have shown and I can't explain the difference between your results and mine. I will go back and try to trouble-shoot the 3rd order poly example to get your results. Any insight you have would again be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Kevin

    PS. I am using a 6th order polynomial to describe a curve that I have digitized. I have ~1000 x-y data points. I would like to have the equation so that I can input a given x value (in my case stress) and return a given y value (in my case, the Larson-Miller Parameter). I don't plan to extrapolate as I understand that high order polynomials tend to rapidly diverge. Indeed, when I use excel's trendline function to extend the chart, it is okay on one end of the curve, but 'curls over' on the other end.
    Last edited by KevinW; 12-31-2005 at 03:46 PM.

  4. #4

    LINEST not returning expected results

    I tried to re-create the example at;

    http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...Polynomial.htm

    Here is the equation I used (using the 'array enter' crtl-shft-rtrn);

    =LINEST(B2:B5,A2:A5^{1,2,3},TRUE,TRUE)

    and here is the matrix result;

    x3 x2 x b
    2.166666667 2 148.8333333 -152.3333333
    0 0 0 0
    1 0 N/A N/A
    0 0 N/A N/A
    14105 0 N/A N/A

    Excel's automatic trendline seems to work fine, correctly identifying the equation as y = 2x^3 + 3x^2 - 6x + 8

    I can't figure out why it won't work correctly. Am I missing something simple? Do I need to change a preference setting I don't know about?

    Thanks
    Kevin

  5. #5
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Increaseing Precision in polynomial trendline equations

    On the Windows side, versions of XL before 2003 had a variety of
    problems with LINEST (not that 2003 is guaranteed to be error proof
    {grin}). Maybe, XL2004 hasn't caught up with XL2003? Of course, it is
    possible you are doing something wrong though I cannot of think of
    what.

    To get the results of a chart's trendline result into a Excel worksheet
    see my enhancements of Dave Braden's code at
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...rting/msg/0eda
    30f29434786d?hl=en&

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  6. #6
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Increaseing Precision in polynomial trendline equations

    Right click on the displayed trendline equation and format as scientific
    notation with 14 decimal places.

    Often fitting a polynomial with this high a degree is overfitting the
    data. Even if the polynomial degree is theoretically justified, fitting
    it will often be an extremely difficult numerical problem, well beyond
    the capabilities of pre-2003 LINEST. If you provide your data (inline
    text, not attachments in newsgroups. please), I could provide more
    information.

    Jerry

  7. #7
    First off, thanks to Bernard, Tushar & Jerry for their helpful comments and suggestions. I learned alot about a useful function (LINEST) and regression curve fitting in general, something I hadn't expected when I posted my question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W. Lewis
    Right click on the displayed trendline equation and format as scientific
    notation with 14 decimal places.
    It worked, and that was exactly what I had been trying to do originally. With more (numeric)precision, my re-ploted data matched my original line exactly.

    I find that sometimes Excel is 'fussy' about whether a text box is already selected when you open a formatting menu - sometimes it only shows the "Font" menu and not the "Colors & Lines/Font/Number/Alignment" menu depending on exactly what you have selected. Once I figured that out, I was able to increase the displayed precisions as I needed.

    One general observation (which might be old news to some)- whenever I work with trendlines and curve fitting, I find that Excel does not always properly 'refresh' the trendline equation on the chart. If I switch curves (exponential to log etc) or change the order of the polynomial, the equation doesn't change, or shows something different than If I plot an entirely new trendline with the same fitting equation.

    This was the case when I tried your (Jerry's) suggestion as well. I increased the precision on the equation I had showing in Excel, and plotted it, but the data diverged again. When I set a new trendline and compared the equations, the coefficient of the 4th term was completely different, and the new equation worked properly.

    I'd still like to be able to use the LINEST function sometimes in the future, but until I can figure out my issue with replicating Bernard's example,
    (<http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm>)
    I'll have to be cautious. I will be back at my office this week, and will try the example on my Windows computer and report back on any results. For simplicity's sake, I hope the problem was between the keyboard and the chair.

    Thanks again
    Kevin

    KevinW wrote:

    > How can I increase the precision in Excel's "Display Equation" option
    > for trendlines?
    >
    > I am trying to fit a polynomial regression (trendline) to a X, Y
    > scatterplot I have created......

    Just to be clear, I am not trying to find the 'best fit' for a plot of scattered data. Rather, I am trying to find an equation to describe an existing line. I scanned and digitized a Larson-Miller curve I will be using extensively for my thesis. The data points are very close together. I'd like to be able to enter a value and return the corresponding value from the curve. As long as the answer is the same as the original curve, then I'm happy with the equation for the line.

    Digitizing and inputing the curve into Excel is probably more accurate than trying to manually read values over and over from a hardcopy plot.

    Here is an example of my data;

    Row X Y
    1) 30.07 62.08
    2) 30.08 62.08
    3) 30.09 62.08
    4) 30.09 61.96
    5) 30.10 61.96
    6) 30.11 61.83
    7) 30.12 61.83
    8) 30.13 61.71
    ...(snip 1000 data points)....
    1047) 38.81 6.25
    1048) 38.82 6.25
    1049) 38.83 6.24

    I may want to know what the 'X' is for Y=61. Since my digitizer didn't input a number for exactly 61, I would have to interpolate, maybe using some sort of look up table etc or just use something close. Either way it would be slow and semi-manual. However, Since I have *alot* of data, the polynomial equation equation fits the line well (at least within the accuracy of the scan etc). I can get my X for any Y I select (but bound by {30.07,62.08} and {38.83,6.24} i.e. no extrapolating).

    I hope that makes sense - if you like I could still post the data, however there is alot of it.

  8. #8
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Increaseing Precision in polynomial trendline equations

    The progression of X's is not clear. For 30.07 to 38.83 by 0.01, there
    are only 877 points, yet you indicate that you have 1049 points.

    Fitting a 6th degree polynomial to this narrow a range of x-values is a
    very difficult numerical problem. Assuming the obvious 877 points, the
    condition number for X'X is ~ 6.8E+32. For pre-2003 LINEST to give
    meaningful coefficients for anything higher than a cubic would be a
    numerical accident.

    The chart polynomial trendline is numerically better than LINEST, and
    has the potential to give reasonable results here. You might also try
    R, the free open-source implementation of the S statistical programming
    language
    http://www.r-project.org
    LINEST in Excel 2003 or later may also give reasonable results.

    Since you seem to be more interested in interpolation than the actual
    coefficient values, you may be OK. Prediction within this range should
    be much more numerically stable than the coefficient estimates themselves.

    Jerry

  9. #9
    Jerry W. Lewis

    "KevinW" wrote:

    > Just to be clear, I am -not- trying to find the 'best fit' for a plot
    > of scattered data. Rather, I am trying to find an equation to describe
    > an existing line. I scanned and digitized a Larson-Miller curve I will
    > be using extensively for my thesis. The data points are very close
    > together. I'd like to be able to enter a value and return the
    > corresponding value from the curve. As long as the answer is the same
    > as the original curve, then I'm happy with the equation for the line.

    Jon Peltier (a PhD metalurgist) might be able to add more, but what I have
    seen of Larson-Miller curves (based on a Google search) they are smooth
    monotonic curves that may not be fit well by a single low-order polynomial
    over the entire range.

    You might do better with local interpolation. y = (a+b*x)/(1+c*x) is a
    simple function that you can fit with 3 observations for local monotonic
    interpolation. Linear interpolation (c=0) is a special case.

    To fit the function, you would need 3 points bracketing your desired point,
    all having distinct x-values and distinct y-values. Given the discreteness
    of your observations, I would tend to use the median x-value for a given
    y-value, ... You might compare or even average the results from 3 points
    with 2 of them to the left of the desired point and 3 poitns with 2 of them
    to the right of the desired point.

    Jerry

  10. #10

    LINEST Bug In Excel For Mac?

    As Previously mentioned in this thread, I was having difficulty with the LINEST function in Excel 2004 for Mac (OSX) Ver11.2

    I couldn't get it to return the coefficients for even a simple quadratic equation, let alone the 6th order polynomial I was using to describe my line.

    After opening my file at my office, I was able to get LINEST to perform correctly for my 6th order polynomial as well as reproduce the example at http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/E...Polynomial.htm no problem.

    At work I am running Excel 2002 on Windows XP.

    Since I didn't make any mods to my spreadsheet from my home computer, I'd have to say that LINEST doesn't work for Excel 2004 for Mac.

    Thanks
    Kevin

    P.S. With regards to Jerry’s suggestion on fitting multiple curves etc- I could probably increase the accuracy of reproducing the best fit line that I digitize, however the underlying scatter in the raw data that curve was created from is huge. The Excel polynomial fit is good enough for my needs. Generally, the Larson Miller Parameter is reported with zero decimal places (ie for a given design stress the corresponding LMP=29 or 30).