How do I create new default color settings for charts in Excel?

  1. #1
    pro user
    Guest

    How do I create new default color settings for charts in Excel?

    I do not like the default color settings for my charts in Excel. I always end
    up modifying them extensively. I'd like to make as few changes as possible
    when my charts are created. Can I set new color defaults for charts created
    in Excel?

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: How do I create new default color settings for charts in Excel?

    Hi,

    You can set the colours for chart lines and fill. Menu Tools > Options.
    On the Color tab is a set of colours for Line and Fill.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    pro user
    Guest

    Re: How do I create new default color settings for charts in Excel

    Your suggestion allows me to modify the color palette from which I can select
    certain colors. However, my desired fill color is not applied as the default.
    Excel still uses its own default gray background, which I have to modify
    using the your suggested color palette.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I create new default color settings for charts in Excel

    You can create a custom chart type, which is more work but also more
    powerful than changing the default colors:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...stomTypes.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: How do I create new default color settings for charts in Excel?

    Hi pro user,

    This is still very much a beta, but you could download the 'Colour Palette
    Tool' from
    http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx. It provides an easy way to build
    nicely graded
    colour palettes (and to save and retrieve them using very small files).

    Of course, if you already have a palette that you use extensively, just save
    a blank workbook with that palette in the XLstart folder. This is usually
    found at either
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11
    (or just search for it)

    Ed Ferrero
    Microsoft Excel MVP
    http://www.edferrero.com