Charting number of contacts a day

  1. #1
    Sean McCloskey
    Guest

    Charting number of contacts a day

    So here's what I am trying to do, I have a source table with the following
    entries:

    00006 - Main Support Closed m 1/12/06 11:44 AM
    00006 - Main Support Closed m 1/12/06 11:27 AM
    00006 - Main Support Closed m 1/10/06 10:41 AM

    Two columns. What I want to do is create a chart where it shows for example
    Jan 12, there were 2 entries, and Jan 10, there were 1 entry. Ofcourse this
    has to be scalable to a larger set. I just want to see the trend of entries
    per day.

    I don't want a bunch of =Countif's if possible. Ideas?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Charting number of contacts a day

    Assuming your two columns are Description and Date-Time, you can use a pivot
    table to do this for you. select a cell in the range, and choose PivotTable
    and PivotChart Report from the Data menu, and select some reasonable
    options. Drag the Date-Time field into the Data area of the empty pivot
    table, then drag the field again into the Rows area. Without doing anything
    further, the pivot table looks like this:

    Sample Raw Data:

    what when

    a 1/15/2006

    b 1/15/2006

    c 1/15/2006

    d 1/14/2006

    e 1/14/2006

    f 1/13/2006

    g 1/13/2006

    h 1/13/2006

    i 1/12/2006

    Pivot Table:

    Count of when

    When Total

    1/12/2006 1

    1/13/2006 3

    1/14/2006 2

    1/15/2006 3

    Grand Total 9

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Lawrence
    Guest

    Re: Charting number of contacts a day

    I'm facing a similar problem, and Jon, I find a pivot table to get me
    very close to where I want to be, except that, like Sean, I have a
    dates field that looks like this:

    1/12/06 10:20 AM
    1/12/06 11:44 AM

    So two entries for January 12th, but different times. Now I can format
    the cells to show only the dates, but when I use a pivot chart, it sees
    both those rows as different, and will create a total of 1 for 10:20 am
    and one for 11:44 am. How do I get the pivot chart to ignore the time
    and only pay attention to the date?

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Charting number of contacts a day

    This is the Grouping feature I described in my last post. Here's another
    example:

    Dummy data:

    Time
    1/12/2006 10:20
    1/12/2006 11:44
    1/12/2006 13:08
    1/12/2006 14:32
    1/13/2006 10:20
    1/13/2006 11:44
    1/14/2006 10:20
    1/14/2006 11:44
    1/14/2006 13:08
    1/14/2006 14:32
    1/14/2006 15:56
    1/14/2006 17:20
    1/14/2006 18:44
    1/14/2006 20:08
    1/14/2006 21:32
    1/14/2006 22:56

    Make a pivot table, with the Time field in the Row area and in the Data
    area:

    Count of Time
    Time Total
    1/12/2006 10:20 1
    1/12/2006 11:44 1
    1/12/2006 13:08 1
    1/12/2006 14:32 1
    1/13/2006 10:20 1
    1/13/2006 11:44 1
    1/14/2006 10:20 1
    1/14/2006 11:44 1
    1/14/2006 13:08 1
    1/14/2006 14:32 1
    1/14/2006 15:56 1
    1/14/2006 17:20 1
    1/14/2006 18:44 1
    1/14/2006 20:08 1
    1/14/2006 21:32 1
    1/14/2006 22:56 1
    Grand Total 16

    Right click on the Time field button, choose Group and Show Detail, then
    choose Group. Unselect Months, and select Days:

    Count of time
    time Total
    12-Jan 4
    13-Jan 2