charting non-adjacent data cells

  1. #1
    BK
    Guest

    charting non-adjacent data cells

    Using Excel 2003. It seems that there is a limit of 5 or 6 non-adjacent
    cells that can be selected to display on a single chart. Am I missing
    something, or is that true?

    The user has put the data labels in alphabetical order and wants to chart
    different groups of those items together. I seem to run into trouble when
    the group he wants to chart has more than 6 components.

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: charting non-adjacent data cells

    Hi,

    It's not so much the number of non contiguous ranges but rather the
    length of the address it creates in conjunction with the 1024 limit to
    the series formula.

    Series formula for a chart based on data in A1:B6, where B1 contains
    series name, A2:A6 contains labels and B2:B6 contains data.
    =SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$6,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$6,1)

    Same formula but only plotting even row cells.
    =SERIES(Sheet1!$B$1,(Sheet1!$A$2,Sheet1!$A$4,Sheet1!$A$6),(Sheet1!$B$2,Sheet1!$B$4,Sheet1!$B$6),1)

    The second chart plots half the information but the series formula is
    nearly twice as long. If you change the sheet name to something
    descriptive you can image the effect that will have on the series.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    BK
    Guest

    Re: charting non-adjacent data cells

    Thanks. It's probably the sheet name that is pushing me over rather than
    the non-adjacent ranges I'm selecting. My user tried to name the sheets
    with very clear labels, so I'll be able to save lots of characters there.
    <grin>

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: charting non-adjacent data cells

    The best approach is to clean up the worksheet. If you're always taking
    every other cell, put the links into an adjacent column, and plot this
    column. There's no real performance or size penalty for having data in two
    places, as long as one is linked to the other or both are linked to the
    original data, and the usability benefits are substantial.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services