[SOLVED] convert letters to numbers

  1. #1
    g75
    Guest

    [SOLVED] convert letters to numbers

    Whats the quickest way to convert letters to numbers, a = 1, b = 2, c =
    3, .....z = 26.
    i.e. the cat sat on ............
    would look like
    20,8,5, 3,1,20, 19,1,20, 15,14,
    so my child can convert "secret codes" with her friends.

    Prefer the numbers to be displayed above the letter.

    I can only think of excel to do this is this possible with Word?

    Thanks in advance

    Mike

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    You can do it either in Excel or word. Getting the letter values is relatively easy using a for next loop, mid and asc functions. more difficult is the layout. one easyish thought is to put them as superscripts in word.

    I hope you don't take offence at this but I think you are missing the point. Which is to learn the conversions and be able to read and write such secret codes without the aid of a computer. A couple of hours work and she should know them all throughly. It is what mine did at 5 and 6. Start by learning all the vowels and every 5th letter of the alphabet.

    regards

  3. #3
    g75
    Guest

    Re: convert letters to numbers

  4. #4
    g75
    Guest

    Re: convert letters to numbers

    Tony is it possible to show a working example of the excel code to be
    able to convert this process.

    Mike

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    Sub a()
    Dim str As String
    Dim strA As String
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim rng As Range

    str = LCase(InputBox("enter words"))
    If str <> "" Then
    Set rng = Worksheets(1).Range("A1")
    For i = 1 To Len(str)
    strA = Mid(str, i, 1)
    rng = Asc(strA) + 1 - Asc("a")
    rng.Offset(1) = strA
    Set rng = rng.Offset(, 1)
    Next
    End If
    MsgBox "done"

    End Sub

  6. #6
    g75
    Guest

    Re: convert letters to numbers

    Tony, thanks for hanging in there, could you now tell me if you please,
    how and where i enter this into the speadsheet.

    Mike

  7. #7
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    tools - macros - vba
    Insert - Module
    paste code in the module window

    Then from the worksheet window tools - macro - macros <select this macro> and run

  8. #8
    g75
    Guest

    Re: convert letters to numbers

    Tony, thats working a treat, easy when you know how!! Thank you for
    your time

    Mike

  9. #9
    g75
    Guest

    Re: convert letters to numbers

    Tony, could you possilbly show me how to do this in Word

    PS my 4 year old is impressed with the conversion but she does not like
    excel

  10. #10
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    I suggest you look for help on this in a Word forum.

    Regards