Copy and paste Excel chart in Word --> font compresses

  1. #1
    ScooterGirl
    Guest

    Copy and paste Excel chart in Word --> font compresses

    A coworker and I are having problems with some Excel charts she pastes into a
    Word document. Any Excel chart she pastes will appear with all text
    compressed--an Arial font *looks* like Arial Narrow, except that the
    character spacing matches the spacing of the normal Arial font, and both
    programs claim that the font is still Arial. We've tried a few different
    - paste (ctrl-v).
    - paste special: picture.
    - paste special: Excel chart object.
    - paste the object into PowerPoint
    - change the font and then paste into Word.
    In all cases, the font is compressed. However, I've used the same files on
    my machine and haven't had a problem. And what I find most odd is that if she
    pastes the chart as an Excel object and sends the Word file to me, I can open
    the file on my machine, open the Excel object, not change anything, but close
    the object, and the font "snaps" to normal.
    We are both using Office Professional Edition 2003 on PCs. SP2.
    Our goal is for her to be able to paste charts in Word from Excel either as
    a picture or as an object and have the font look and print normally. Any
    suggestions would be appreciated!

  2. #2
    renegade-27
    Guest

    Re: Copy and paste Excel chart in Word --> font compresses

    Try "Paste Special" and choose "picture". This avoids all the wackiness
    associated with the excel chart object

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    ScooterGirl
    Guest

    Re: Copy and paste Excel chart in Word --> font compresses

    Thanks for the suggestion, but it's actually one of the options I listed as a
    method we tried. #2 on my list below. I was pretty surprised that it didn't
    work.

    "renegade-27" wrote:

    > Try "Paste Special" and choose "picture". This avoids all the wackiness
    > associated with the excel chart object
    >
    > "ScooterGirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    We've tried a few different

  4. #4
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Copy and paste Excel chart in Word --> font compresses

    ScooterGirl -

    Try this: Format the chart the way you like it in Excel (embedded on the
    worksheet). Select the chart (by clicking just inside its outer border).
    Hold down the Shift key, and from Excel's menu bar choose Edit | Copy
    Picture. Try one of the options on Excel's Copy Picture dialog box. Switch
    to Word, and choose Edit | Paste. If you don't like the results, try a
    different option on Excel's Copy Picture dialog box.

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com