Excel Line or Scatter Chart

  1. #1
    Millie
    Guest

    Excel Line or Scatter Chart

    I have created a line chart with markers. The markers show, but the lines do
    not. So I tried doing the chart as a Scatter chart with markers and lines,
    and the lines still don't show.

    What am I doing wrong?

    Help!!

  2. #2
    Michael R Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Excel Line or Scatter Chart

    Millie -

    Either a Line chart type or an XY (Scatter) chart type can be formatted to
    show any combbination of lines and markers.

    Click a data point to select the data series. Choose Format Selected Data
    Series, and click the Patterns tab. Choose the settings you desire.

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excel Line or Scatter Chart

    Are there blank cells in the data range? By default, Excel doesn't plot
    them, leaving a gap in their place. To force Excel to draw a connecting line
    across this gap, select the chart, go to Options on the Tools menu, and on
    the Chart tab, where it says Treat Blank Cells As..., select Interpolate.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excel Line or Scatter Chart

    Pardon me if this appears twice, but Outlook Distress seems to have eaten
    the first one.

    Are there gaps in the source data? By default Excel ignores these blanks,
    leaving a gap in the chart. You can tell Excel to draw a line across the
    gap. Select the chart, go to Options on the Tools menu, and on the Chart
    tab, where it asks how you want to deal with blank cells, choose
    Interpolate.

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5