Dynamic Charts Offset

  1. #1
    CSK
    Guest

    Dynamic Charts Offset

    Please help. I have read other posts but my situation is a bit different and
    I am having trouble adapting the suggestions to my situation.

    I am creating a bar chart that shows per contract the estimated hours and
    the actual hours. CUrrently, I have contracts that have no estimated and
    actual hours, so I do not want to display these contract on the chart, I only
    want to show those contracts that have data. I do not want to use auto
    filter to exclude those contracts with zero values. I used the suggestions
    from the user community and populate zero values with #N/A via a formula when
    the value is zero, thinking this would eliminate these from the chart, but it
    does not. I tried using OFFSET, but I can't get that to work either because
    I have more than one column and I am displaying the contracts in a specific
    order.

    Here is an example of my data, and since fed from another spreadsheet,
    additional estimated and actual values could be populated:

    2006 YTD 2006 YTD
    Estimated Actual
    CIG #N/A #N/A
    CIB #N/A #N/A
    DRS #N/A #N/A
    FTA 234 162
    IPS #N/A #N/A
    SIR #N/A #N/A
    Men 156 412
    Mon #N/A #N/A
    NYCA #N/A #N/A
    NYCB #N/A #N/A
    NYCP #N/A #N/A
    NYC 453 652
    NYCW #N/A #N/A
    NYSC #N/A #N/A
    NYSP #N/A #N/A
    NYSP6 #N/A #N/A

    So what I want to see on my bar chart is the 3 contracts that have values on
    the x axis, and the corresponding estimated and actuals on the y axis. Then
    as additional contracts have values in the estimated and actual columns, they
    too will show up on the bar chart. What I see now is
    all the contracts, regardless of whether there is a value in the estimated
    and actual hours.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Charts Offset

    The #N/A only simulates a non-entry in a line or XY series, but not in a
    bar, column, or area chart.

    Neither #N/A, zero, nor a true blank cell prevent a point from taking space
    in the chart. The chart series includes it as a point, even if it doesn't
    "appear". In your case, you will see the #N/A projects as categories in the
    chart. What you need to do is use some formulas in a second range that
    extract plottable data, and use this second range as the chart source.

    For example, if I put your data into A1:C18, I can add a few columns and get
    something to plot:

    2006 YTD 2006 YTD

    Est Actual Est Actual

    CIG 0 0 14 NYC 453 652

    CIB 0 0 9 Men 156 412

    DRS 0 0 6 FTA 234 162

    FTA 234 162 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    IPS 0 0 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    SIR 0 0 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    Men 156 412 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    Mon 0 0 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    NYCA 0 0 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    NYCB 0 0 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    NYCP 0 0 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    NYC 453 652 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    NYCW 0 0 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    NYSC 0 0 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    NYSP 0 0 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    NYSP6 0 0 0 #REF! #REF! #REF!

    Cell D3 contains this array formula (entered using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, not
    just ENTER):

    {=LARGE(ROW($A$3:$A$18)*(($B$3:$B$18)>0)*(($C$3:$C$18)>0),ROW()-ROW($D$2))}

    Don't type the curly brackets, Excel puts them there if you've correctly
    entered the array formula. What it does is find the rows that have non-zero
    data (use zeros or blanks in the range, not #N/A). This formula is filled
    downwards as far as needed.

    Cell E3 has this regular formula:

    =OFFSET(A$1,$D3-1,0)

    This is filled right and left as far as needed. It picks out the value for
    the row in column D.

    You can set up dynamic ranges for columns E:G, and use these in the chart.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CSK
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Charts Offset

    I get to the point where columns D to G match your sample, but when I create
    the bar chart, the #REF! in column E is on the x axis. So what I see is NYC
    hours, Men hours and FTA hours, then #REF! 13 more times. How do I set up my
    chart to not plot beyond where there are hours?

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Dynamic Charts Offset

    I advised:

    > You can set up dynamic ranges for columns E:G, and use these in the chart.

    but I didn't say how, did I? There are lots of references for dynamic
    charts. You can start looking here:

    You need to set up some dynamic ranges. On the Insert menu, select Names,
    then Define. In the Name box type a name, like 'Labels', and in the Refers
    To box enter a formula like
    =OFFSET(E3,0,0,COUNTIF(D:D,">0"),1)

    Click Add, then repeat for these additional names:

    'Est'
    =OFFSET(Labels,0,1)

    'Actual'
    =OFFSET(Labels,0,2)

    Start the chart wizard, pick a chart type in step 1, and in step 2 select
    the Series tab. Click Add, and in the Category Labels box, type
    =Sheet1!Labels (substituting the name of your sheet), then in the Values
    box, type =Sheet1!Est. Click Add again, and in the Values box, type
    =Sheet1!Actual. Finish the wizard, and admire your chart.

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5
    Hi Jon

    This was a very nice thread for me to read. It solved a problem I had perfectly, almost. When doing it interactivly it works perfect, but I need to create it in VBA and that only works up until connecting the names to the chart.

    I tried to record it and then the macro used the charts series.xvalue and series.value i.e.
    Charts.Add
    ActiveChart.ChartType = xlLineMarkers
    ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("N28")
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection.NewSeries
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=FileName.xls!Lables"
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Values = "=FileName.xls!Values"
    ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Name = "=""test"""
    ActiveChart.Location Where:=xlLocationAsObject, Name:="Sheet1"

    I did not get this to work so I tried using the formula i.e.
    xlChartSeries.Formula = "=SERIES(""test"",FileName.xls!Lables,FileName.xls!Values,1)"

    This does not work either. It work if a I put a range like "$A$1:$A$2" instead put that not what I want.

    Have you tried this and if so, do you have any proposals on how I could solve it?

    Thank you in advance
    Anders.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Peltier
    I advised: