Line Chart

  1. #1
    Aurora
    Guest

    Line Chart

    I am using Excel 2000
    When I create Line Charts - usually for a year's time frame, my last part of
    the line (tail) on the chart goes directly to the bottom of the chart. For
    example: My line goes up and down for jan, feb, mar, (per the data) but
    because there is no data for apr, the line goes directly to the bottom of the
    graph (0) at apr. I understand why this happens, but someone told me there
    is a way to stop this line at the end of the data without the tail hanging
    down. I know that I could just highlight just the cells with data. but this
    in turn stretches my time frame (jan,feb& mar) across the whole chart
    instead of showing the whole year (jan - dec). Does anyone know how to get
    rid of just the tail on the chart? I know this is a small thing, but it bugs
    some people around here. I would certainly appreciate any help someone can
    give me.

    Aurora

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Line Chart

    Replace the blank cells with =NA() which displays as #N/a but is ignored by
    nchart
    OR
    Select chart; use Tools | Options; open Chart tab; specify what is to happen
    to empty cells
    best wishes

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Aurora
    Guest

    Re: Line Chart

    Thank you for trying to help. 1. I can't replace the cells with =NA()
    because these cells have a formulas in them waiting for data to be entered to
    calculate the formula.
    I check the tools idea - but everythings appears to be as it should be.
    Empty cells -
    "not plotted" is checked and "Plot visual cells only" is checked. Do you
    have any other ideas?

    Aurora

  4. #4
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Line Chart

    A cell with a formula is NOT empty even if nothing is displayed.

    If your formula is something like =IF(test, math_expression, ""),
    change it to =IF(test, math_expression, NA()),
    Let me know if this helps