Pivots with Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler

  1. #1
    Matt
    Guest

    Pivots with Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler

    Hello All

    I'm just starting out in Excel charts so please excuse me if this is a dumb
    question.

    I'm using this download to add labels to a chart
    http://appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm (Thanks Rob for the use and Jon
    for recommending it). My chart is generated by a pivot table and the labels
    by a "live-link the data label text to the source range text. Changes in the
    source range text are immediately reflected in the corresponding data label.

    So far so good, however, when I refresh my pivot table the data labels
    dissappear! I've tried to record a macro to rebuild them but nothing comes
    up.

    Can someone help me set up my labels so that they won't dissapear on refresh?

    Thanks in Advance

    Matt

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Pivots with Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler

    This is a known issue with pivot tables and pivot charts: blink funny, and
    they lose their formatting. Even Microsoft suggests recording a macro to
    reapply the formatting, which won't help with the labels unless you can hack
    into Rob's add-in. Here's Microsoft's knowledge base article about the
    problem:

    Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting (215904)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=215904

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Matt
    Guest

    Re: Pivots with Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler

    Hi Jon

    Thanks very much for this. Not much of a hacker so haven't had a go at Rob's
    add-in
    I have managed to get it working by using SendKeys though
    Sub AddPercentages2RbyMonth()
    'CANNOT TEST WITH THIS VBA OPEN
    Call SendKeys("%(T)(X)(A){TAB}(Flex_Percentages)", True)
    MsgBox "Please click OK", vbQuestion
    Call SendKeys("%(T)(X)(A)(H)(HC_Percentages)", True)
    MsgBox "Please click OK", vbQuestion
    Call SendKeys("%(T)(X)(A)(R)(Risk_Percentages)", True)
    MsgBox "Please click OK", vbQuestion
    End Sub

    I have needed to inlcude all the MsgBox action as otherwise Excel kept
    crashing. If anyone has any ideas on why that would be I'd love to here them.
    Otherwise this works OK.

    Thanks again for clearing that up for me Jon

    Cheers

    Matt

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Pivots with Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler

    Ha, SendKeys. Last refuge of the desperate. When I said hack into Rob's
    utility, I meant look for code you can borrow for your own program.

    I would use a different approach. Determine which range will be used to
    label which series in the chart. Use the various pivot table ranges
    (TableRange1 and 2, ColumnRange, RowRange, DataBodyRange, DataLabelRange,
    etc.) and whatever other tricks you need. Then finally, iterate through the
    points in the series, get the text from the corresponding cell in the range,
    and apply one to the other. Something like this excerpt from something I did
    a while back:

    Dim rngSource As Range

    Dim dlTarget As DataLabel

    Dim iPtsCt As Integer

    Dim iPtsIx As Integer

    For iPtsIx = 1 To iPtsCt

    Set rngSource = ActiveSheet.Range("RangeName") _

    .Offset(iPtsIx - 1, 0).Resize(1, 1)

    Set dlTarget = ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1) _

    .Chart.SeriesCollection(1).DataLabels(iPtsIx)

    dlTarget.Text = rngSource.Value

    Next

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5
    Matt
    Guest

    Re: Pivots with Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler

    Hi Jon

    Apologies for my late reply!
    Your further response was an unexpected bonus
    I managed to get around my last refuge of the desperate (SendKeys) in the end.

    But I've added your code to my library. I'm sure it will come in useful in
    the future

    Thanks again

    Matt