Time on the X Axis Issue

  1. #1
    Dave
    Guest

    Time on the X Axis Issue

    Posted this on Excel - no response. Guess I should have been here.

    I am trying to plot events on a time abscissa. I would like to have the
    major gridlines at even times, such as 8:00 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 11:00 AM
    etc. My data, however, occasionally falls in between these times, i.e.,
    8:05 AM, 9:17 Am, etc.

    When these points are plotted (correctly), an extra vertical gridline
    appears automatically at the correct data time. My problem is I don't want
    that data point gridline to appear.

    Is there any way I can opt not to get the extra line??
    Thx
    Dave

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Time on the X Axis Issue

    1. Use an XY chart, not a line chart.
    2. Delete the gridlines.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
    _______

  3. #3
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: Time on the X Axis Issue

    Thank you Jon -

    That helps, but the X axis labels continue to match my actual data point
    times, rather than the even time increments I want. Can we do something
    about that?

    BTW, I've been using line charts for years, although I have to admit seldom
    on time X-axis data. Which has always driven me a bit nuts because of the
    way the scales want to be set.

    Whatever.
    Thx again.

    Dave

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Time on the X Axis Issue

    If you get an X axis tick for every data point, either the data is very
    regular, or you're still using a line chart. In the first step of the chart
    wizard, go all the way to the fifth icon down the list, not the third, and
    make an XY chart. You can get any formatting: with or without lines, with or
    without markers; the same as in a line chart. But the axis is a true value
    axis.

    Also, if Excel recognizes the times as times, it will plot them as such.
    Problem is, in a line chart, Excel only plots integer values, so all times
    for a given date are plotted at midnight. In an XY chart, the data is
    plotted according to value.

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: Time on the X Axis Issue

    Thanks once again Jon, that got it.

    I still think time on the X-axis is a bear. Guess I have to look at more
    options when I get stuck - Lord knows there are enough of them

    BTW - you Excel MVP site looks superb. I obviously need to spend some time
    there

    Thx again - much appreciated