Matching the min & max values for Primary and Secondary axes

  1. #1
    Neil
    Guest

    Matching the min & max values for Primary and Secondary axes

    Hi All,

    I am constructing a tricky scrolling chart that makes use of dynamic named
    ranges to allow me to chart a defined number of months of data (eg. 6 months
    of sales figures) from a total of 30 available months.

    This is all easy to understand and setup with offset formulae and custom
    control scrollers etc.

    What I would like to do is be able to plot two sets of data on the one chart
    to compare them, for example sales $ and quantity for a single product.

    Given the difference in type of data, these by necessity need to be plotted
    on separate axes - no problem there.

    If however I wish to plot the sales $ and profit $ for a single product, it
    makes sense to 'synchronise' the min and max scale values for the two axes
    so that the profit $ line displays as the appropriate % of the sales $
    line...

    How can I do this ??
    I'd like to be able to switch between 'synchronised values' and non linked
    values automatically, ie. if $ based information is present on both axes -
    synchronise the scales otherwise leave them independent of each other.

    I'd also like to be able to control the min and max values such that
    regardless of which 6 month period I am scrolling through, the chart will
    not 'jump' around to automatically optimise the axis scale.
    I therefore would like to set the min chart value near to the lowest value
    present in the 30 months of data and the max value to the highest value in
    the 30 months of data.
    How best can I do this ??

    Now I am probably pushing my luck here, but is it possible to dynamically
    vary the chart type depending on no. of months of data plotted ??
    For example, if the user elects to plot less than 6 months of data, I'd like
    it to display as a bar graph otherwise a line graph...

    Thanks for any and all assistance.

    Regards,

    Neil

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Matching the min & max values for Primary and Secondary axes

    How good are your programming skills? ;-)

    Since XL doesn't allow one to link chart scale parameters to cells (or named
    formulas) you will have to resort to VBA code.

    Once you decide to do that almost everything on your wish list becomes
    feasible. {grin}

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Matching the min & max values for Primary and Secondary axes

    Tushar has a utility that scales a chart according to values you set in the
    worksheet:

    http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/softwa...art/index.html

    On my site I have some VBA code that performs the same task, only you have
    to set it up yourself, instead of letting Tushar's program do it for you:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nkToSheet.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
    _______

    news:[email protected]...