How to get excel to recognise "infinity" for asymptotes in charts

  1. #1
    Joey Jubb
    Guest

    How to get excel to recognise "infinity" for asymptotes in charts

    I'm trying to make various graphs based on the function "y = tan(x)" for
    revision purposes. The only problem is that the graph contains an asymptote:
    a dotted line parallel to the y-axis that the plot-line approaches but never
    quite reaches. Excel doesn't seem to recognise this and I don't know how to
    make it deal with asymptotes.

    In other words, the asymptote represents a value of +-infinity.

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: How to get excel to recognise "infinity" for asymptotes in charts

    XL doesn't understand the concept of an asymptote or of infinity. So, the
    best one can do is create the appropriate visual effect. See
    More information about PLOT
    http://www.tushar-
    mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/decompiled_help/plot6.html
    and particularly
    Comparing the graph of Tan(x) drawn with the Plot Manager and an Excel table
    http://www.tushar-
    mehta.com/excel/software/plot_manager/decompiled_help/plot6.html#Compare%
    20Tan

    Watch out for line breaks in the URLs.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>, =?Utf-8?B?
    Sm9leSBKdWJi?= <Joey [email protected]> says...

  3. #3
    Joey Jubb
    Guest

    Re: How to get excel to recognise "infinity" for asymptotes in cha

    Thank you very much! I wonder if MS Student can work with Asymptotes?