32,000 data points error message

  1. #1
    DavidJ726
    Guest

    32,000 data points error message

    I keep getting the following pop up error message as I'm creating a line
    chart. The source data includes two colums with nearly 900 rows of data.
    Basically the data is temperature readings from two probes (coulmn A&B) at 1
    second intervals (900 rows = 15 minutes of data) There's also a 3rd column
    that has 60 points of data, but this colums in only used to provide the data
    for the X axis labels. So by my calculation, I have less than 2000 data
    points, correct? Why the error message?

    This is what the message says;

    "The maximum number of data points you can use in a data series for a 2-D
    chart is 32,000. If you want to use more than 32,000 data points, you must
    create two or more series."

    Thanks,
    David

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: 32,000 data points error message

    There may be data in rows far below the visible data. If you select the
    entire column, this will be a problem. Even a space character is enough to
    throw off Excel's parsing of your selection.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    DavidJ726
    Guest

    Re: 32,000 data points error message

    Thanks Jon, That's what it was.
    David

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    DavidJ726
    Guest

    Re: 32,000 data points error message

    As a follow up, I've now added a 4th column and am having difficulty in
    getting it to display on the chart. What I'm trying to do is create a data
    series that shows a desired profile so I can compare actual results against
    the desired result. Instead of entering up to 900 points I've entered the
    desired temperatures at points along the way at (aproximately) 30 second
    intervals which gives me aproximately 30 points of data. but when I go to
    source data and add a new series, the data isn't displayed. What I
    eventually had to do was carefully move the mouse around a region where I
    knew a data point existed, and when the little "hover tip" popped up I was
    able to select the series and select custom markers so they'd appear.

    What I expected was a line graph to connect the 30 points. I knew it wasn't
    going to be as smooth as one of the other columns that has temperatures
    recorded every second, but shouldn't of I expected a line of some sort?
    Even after selecting line type & color I can't see a line, only the markers.

    Any idea's?

    Thanks,
    David

  5. #5
    DavidJ726
    Guest

    Re: 32,000 data points error message

    Never Mind!!

    I found it, tools options, interpolated.

    David