[SOLVED] 53 weeks in 2004 skews x-axis year increment on charts.

  1. #1
    bj.williams
    Guest

    [SOLVED] 53 weeks in 2004 skews x-axis year increment on charts.

    Excel 2003. On a chart with weekly data point values and a total range from
    2000 through year to date 2006, the fact that 2004 had 53 weeks rather than
    52 skews the yearly increments on the x-axis (bottom scale) on the chart. It
    shows 2004 correctly, but shows 2004 again for the actual 2005 tick mark and
    2005 for 2006. I've tried setting the number of catagories between the tick
    marks at 53 (instead of 52), but it throws off the alignment of the year
    label to the tick mark and it gets incrementally worse every year. Need a
    way of making the scale on the x-axis ignore that 2004 had 53 weeks and show
    accurate years at each tick mark.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: 53 weeks in 2004 skews x-axis year increment on charts.

    Make a line chart rather than an XY chart. Use real dates (month-day-year),
    not just month numbers. Make sure Excel draws a date scale: Chart menu >
    Chart Options > Axes tab, select Time Scale instead of Category. Double
    click the axis, set Base Unit on the Scale tab to Days and use months or
    years for the other (or 7 days) for major unit.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bj.williams
    Guest

    Re: 53 weeks in 2004 skews x-axis year increment on charts.

    The chart is a line chart. The data is in weeks. That's the lowest range I
    can go. The time scale option then creates an odd looking chart without the
    data point for each week showing.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: 53 weeks in 2004 skews x-axis year increment on charts.

    The data is in weeks as in week numbers, or weeks as in dates seven days
    apart? If you don't have real dates, the date axis will do you little good.

    - Jon
    -------