Change XY tick labels from numeric to text

  1. #1
    jennifer
    Guest

    Change XY tick labels from numeric to text

    Hi all.
    Hope you can help.
    I am exploring a huge dataset of data by U.S. zip codes.
    Each row is a zip code, the state the zip belongs to, the state number,
    and a count of widgets.
    91234 AK 2 0.123
    91872 AK 2 0.234
    91232 AK 2 0.345
    26271 AZ 3 0.111
    23111 AZ 3 0.222

    Although this might sound strange, I am graphing the entire dataset as
    an XY scatter plot --- with the state number as the x values and the
    widgets as the y-values. The resultant plot shows the distribution of
    widgets for each state very quickly and easily and all on one graph.

    I'd like to replace the tick mark labels on the x-axis from state
    numbers (2,3,4, etc) to state abbreviations (AK,AZ,CA).

    I know that I can create text boxes that contain the abbreviations and
    place them manually below the tick mark --- but when I graph some other
    variable the size of the graph changes slightly and the text boxes no
    longer line up with the original tick mark labels.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    -jennifer

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Change XY tick labels from numeric to text

    Hi,

    Have a look at Jon Peltier's page on arbitary axis scale. The same
    principle can be applied to the x axis.
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    jennifer
    Guest

    Re: Change XY tick labels from numeric to text

    This worked like a charm!
    Thanks for the quick response.

    -jennifer