How do I make a particular column required in Excel?

  1. #1
    smistretta
    Guest

    How do I make a particular column required in Excel?

    Our NPO is in the process of creating a reimbursement chart for our employees
    and we're trying to make it so that if they do not fill in a particular
    column entitled "Project," they will get an error message or will be unable
    to sum their final expenses together.

    Is there a way to make a single column required in an Excel sheet so that
    not filling in this cell would block any more entries or would block a final
    reimbursement number?

    Thank you in advance for any help or advice!

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: How do I make a particular column required in Excel?

    Hi:
    For conditional blocking access to a worksheet cell you need some
    programming I believe.
    However, assuming you have a defined list of projects you could "force" an
    employee to make a pick from this list. Make this list on the same worksheet
    in a column (say 10 projects in B50:B59) and next select the project input
    cell, choose Validation... in the Data menu and in the "Allow" field pick
    "List". A source box pops up and enter here B50:B59. Uncheck "Ignore Blank"
    and Check "In-cell dropdown" if you want to get the list dropped down in the
    cell when the user selects it. You can provide user instructions in the
    Input Message tab. In the Error Alert tab you can formulate an alert message,
    and select under "Style" Stop so the user cannot go onwards until they have
    picked one of the projects. I hope this is what you'r looking for.
    Note: you may wish to protect the sheet for prohibiting the user to change
    cells B50:B59 (in this example). All cells are locked by default (which only
    comes into force when protection is activated). For this, deselect the cells
    in Cells/Format/Protection tab you want to enable the user to input data, and
    protect the sheet (Tools menu/Protection/Protect sheet...).
    GL,
    Henk