How do I do a cumulative frequency graph?

  1. #1
    ted
    Guest

    How do I do a cumulative frequency graph?

    I have a large amount of data (60k lines) and want to display a cumulative
    frequency of the data. Example... chart starts @ 0,0 and end at $1.00 (x) and
    100% (y). It will visually show at any given x value (between 0 and 1.00) the
    cumulative % of the time that value (and below) comes up. (.50 and below is
    40% of the data).

    I have played with histograms, but that just shows the frequency of 1 x
    value. I need this to be cumulative for that x value and all values lower
    than it.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: How do I do a cumulative frequency graph?

    Ted, I think you can use the COUNTIF function: =COUNTIF(x,"<=x") where x is
    the x value you want to calc the frequency of occurence.

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I do a cumulative frequency graph?

    Supposing the data is in column B, with a label in B1 ("Value"), sort the
    data, and in column A put a label in A1 ("Rank") and starting in A2 use the
    formula

    =(ROW()-1)/COUNT($B:$B)

    Since you can't plot more than 30K points in a chart series (and that's an
    exercise in point redrawing that I wouldn't wish on anyone, except the
    client who inflicted it on me), in two more columns compute a simpler data
    set. In D1 type "Rank" and in D2:D101 enter =(ROW()-1)/100. In E1 type
    "Value" and in E2:E101 enter this formula:

    =VLOOKUP(D2,$A$2:$B$2000,2)

    But enter the whole range, not just the $A$2:$B$2000 I used in my example.
    Now select the data in D:E and create an XY chart.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services