Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

fixed plot areas?

  1. #1
    spaceygrace
    Guest

    fixed plot areas?

    Using line graphs, how can I create plots that have the same plot areas and
    do not change size when the legends change or differ in size. I need to make
    12 identical plots that can be easily aligned and compared visually. They
    need to differ only in the data plotted within those plot areas. My problem
    is that the plots change in size with the different legend sizes.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: fixed plot areas?

    You really need VBA to do this. I wrote a little utility to do this, and
    it's still immature, but you can give it a try:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...l#AlignChtDims

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: fixed plot areas?

    Maybe you can escape using VBA and depending on the number of series to plot
    in one chart you could try to place the legend on top or on bottom of the
    plot area. As long as you are using the same height (the labels are placed
    besides each other, not below each other) for all charts (depending how much
    legend labels you require) the plot area remains constant (untick AutoScale
    in Format Legend/Font).

    Alternatively you could possibly use a data label instead of a legend. In
    line charts this is usually unwanted as every point will be labeled. But you
    could add a dummy point where you want the label to appear (give it same x-y
    values) and make this invisible (transparent or choosing the same colour as
    the background). If you label this point with the series name you
    effectively have a substitue for the legend, and in my opinion usually easier
    to read. The name, however, may clog the plot area a bit so you have to see
    where to position it.