spearman rank correlaiton coeffiecent on excel?

  1. #1
    tony
    Guest

    spearman rank correlaiton coeffiecent on excel?

    does excel perform the spearman rank correllation test?

  2. #2
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: spearman rank correlaiton coeffiecent on excel?

    tony -

    If you browse to google.com and search for

    spearman rank correlation coefficient on excel?

    you'll get 38,300 hits. Have you tried that? (It helps if you spell
    "correlation coefficient" correctly.)

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    tony
    Guest

    Re: spearman rank correlaiton coeffiecent on excel?

    The answer according to Sussex uin is no excel dosent calculate Spearman,
    however their site, to which I was directed to on your advice expains how I
    can manipulate excel to perform the calculation; so thank you

  4. #4
    James Silverton
    Guest

    Re: spearman rank correlaiton coeffiecent on excel?

    "tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The answer according to Sussex uin is no excel dosent
    > calculate Spearman,
    > however their site, to which I was directed to on your advice
    > expains how I
    > can manipulate excel to perform the calculation; so thank you
    >
    > "Mike Middleton" wrote:
    >
    >> tony -
    >>
    >> If you browse to google.com and search for
    >>
    >> spearman rank correlation coefficient on excel?
    >>
    >> you'll get 38,300 hits. Have you tried that? (It helps if you
    >> spell
    >> "correlation coefficient" correctly.)
    >>
    >> - Mike
    >> www.mikemiddleton.com
    >>
    >> "tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > does excel perform the spearman rank correllation test?

    I wonder why you would actually want to use the rank correlation
    method? I always thought it was a remnant of the days when more
    exact calculation was tedious but I'd be glad to be enlightened.

    --
    James Silverton,
    Potomac, Maryland

  5. #5
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: spearman rank correlaiton coeffiecent on excel?

    James -

    > I wonder why you would actually want to use the rank correlation method? <

    Spearman's correlation is most appropriate when you want a correlation
    measure for two variables that are ordinal categorical measures (instead of
    numerical measures). For example, it may not make sense to arbitrarily
    assign numerical values (1,2,3,4,5) to ordinal responses on a survey
    questionnaire (Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Indifferent, Agree, Strongly
    Agree)

    > I always thought it was a remnant of the days when more exact calculation
    > was tedious but I'd be glad to be enlightened. <

    Pearson's correlation (Excel's CORREL worksheet function) summarizes a
    linear relationship, so Spearman's correlation could be used to summarize a
    nonlinear relationship between two numerical variables. Also, Spearman's is
    not influenced as much by outliers. But, if you truly have a linear
    relationship between two numerical variables, you lose information if you
    convert the numbers to ranks before computing correlation.

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

  6. #6
    James Silverton

    Mike wrote on Mon, 8 May 2006 19:43:45 -0700:

    ??>> I wonder why you would actually want to use the rank
    ??>> correlation method? <

    MM> Spearman's correlation is most appropriate when you want a
    MM> correlation measure for two variables that are ordinal
    MM> categorical measures (instead of numerical measures). For
    MM> example, it may not make sense to arbitrarily assign
    MM> numerical values (1,2,3,4,5) to ordinal responses on a
    MM> survey questionnaire (Strongly Disagree, Disagree,
    MM> Indifferent, Agree, Strongly Agree)

    ??>> I always thought it was a remnant of the days when more
    ??>> exact calculation was tedious but I'd be glad to be
    ??>> enlightened. <

    MM> Pearson's correlation (Excel's CORREL worksheet function)
    MM> summarizes a linear relationship, so Spearman's correlation
    MM> could be used to summarize a nonlinear relationship between
    MM> two numerical variables. Also, Spearman's is not influenced
    MM> as much by outliers. But, if you truly have a linear
    MM> relationship between two numerical variables, you lose
    MM> information if you convert the numbers to ranks before
    MM> computing correlation.

    Thanks Mike, that does put things in a better perspective
    especially non-linearity and the effect of outliers.

    James Silverton.