Graphing Variable-length columns

  1. #1
    Ben M
    Guest

    Graphing Variable-length columns

    Hi, I have a situation where I have a spreadsheet with 2 columns, A and B.
    Column A is the date and Column B is the # of bids we have submitted on that
    day.

    I create a graph based on those columns, that shows the date on the X-axis
    and the # on the Y-axis.

    But I would like the graph to be updated automatically everytime I add a new
    row to the spreadsheet. So that tomorrow, when I add the row for May 10, the
    chart will reflect May 10 without requiring me to recreate the chart.

    Is this possible? I've tried everything I can think of and it hasn't worked.

    Thanks!
    Ben
    [email protected]

  2. #2
    HEK
    Guest

    RE: Graphing Variable-length columns

    Ben, I copy an answer to a similar post below:
    You can set up your actual data as a dynamic named range series, using the
    OFFSET function. Many MVPs give tutorials how to do this on their websites,
    see for instance:
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...rts/index.html
    http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/e...ps.htm#Dynamic
    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames02.html

    GL,
    Henk

  3. #3
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Graphing Variable-length columns

    "Ben M" <Ben [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I have a situation where I have a spreadsheet with 2 columns, A and B.
    > Column A is the date and Column B is the # of bids we have submitted on
    > that
    > day.
    >
    > I create a graph based on those columns, that shows the date on the X-axis
    > and the # on the Y-axis.
    >
    > But I would like the graph to be updated automatically everytime I add a
    > new
    > row to the spreadsheet. So that tomorrow, when I add the row for May 10,
    > the
    > chart will reflect May 10 without requiring me to recreate the chart.
    >
    > Is this possible? I've tried everything I can think of and it hasn't
    > worked.

    If your source data says something like =Sheet1!$A$1:$A$3 change it to
    =Sheet1!$A:$A

    If you add a new row you may get odd warnings about exceeding 32000 points,
    but it still seems to work.
    --
    David Biddulph

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Graphing Variable-length columns

    That works fine, if you don't mind a series with 32k points (which I just
    got when I tried it). Perhaps it depends on chart type.

    The "official" answer is to define a dynamic range name that sizes itself,
    and base the chart on that name. Here are some examples and links:

    The good news, if you're using Excel 2003, is that you can define the chart
    source data range as a "List", and when data is added to the list,
    everything that relates to the list updates. Select the range and go to List
    on the Data menu to create it. Then make a chart the regular way, and even
    if it uses the normal cell address for the source data, when the address
    changes due to the list changing size, the address in the chart also
    changes.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP