Selecting part of a series for a chart?

  1. #1
    Al
    Guest

    Selecting part of a series for a chart?

    My data comprises series of data (hours) by months for various projects (prj
    1, 2 ,3 etc) My chart plots these series, and the X axis covers say, June 05
    - Jun 07. In Prj# X I do have data for this entire period, but I only want
    to select say Jan 06 - Jan 07 to be taken into the chart.

    I have selected the correct range for Jan 06 - Jan 07 for Prj#X, however the
    chart is still reflecting the entire series of data!

    Obviously something's wrong somewhere, but I cannot fathom it out...any
    ideas greatfully received. Thank you, all!

    Allan

  2. #2
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Selecting part of a series for a chart?

    "Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My data comprises series of data (hours) by months for various projects
    > (prj
    > 1, 2 ,3 etc) My chart plots these series, and the X axis covers say, June
    > 05
    > - Jun 07. In Prj# X I do have data for this entire period, but I only
    > want
    > to select say Jan 06 - Jan 07 to be taken into the chart.
    >
    > I have selected the correct range for Jan 06 - Jan 07 for Prj#X, however
    > the
    > chart is still reflecting the entire series of data!
    >
    > Obviously something's wrong somewhere, but I cannot fathom it out...any
    > ideas greatfully received. Thank you, all!

    Go to "Chart/ Source Data" and see what is set for the X axis data.
    --
    David Biddulph

  3. #3
    Al
    Guest

    Re: Selecting part of a series for a chart?

    David, thanks but this doesn't seem to achieve what I need...let me try to
    explain again.

    I have 10 data series - prj 1,2,3...10
    Each series has 36 cells - month 1,2,3,....36
    My X axis is set for month 1 - 36

    I now want to take up into the chart only months 24-36 for prj 8, so I
    select these cells in the values range for prj 8. (If I amend the X axis when
    changing the prj 8 range then the entire chart is changed to reflect only
    month 24 onwards, so this is not my solution.)

    What happens in my chart is that the prj 8 series does in fact start with
    month 24 in the chart, but it is put into the chart in the month 1 column,
    and all prj 8 data is shifted to the left! (Placing my mouse over the chart
    the pop up reflects the correct "names" of the positions in the chart but of
    course the info is wrong - i.e. prj 8, month 1 has the month 24 data!)

    I hope my explanation above isn't too confusing, and that you've suggestions
    as to how to achieve what I need. (I have in the meanwhile "tricked" Excel by
    entering zeros in the months that I do not want to show in the chart, and
    simply used the full range (month1-36) for project 8! Not entirely
    satisfactory, but the result is what I want. There must be a way of picking
    parts of ranges to enter into a chart!?)

    Allan

  4. #4
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Selecting part of a series for a chart?

    "Al" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > David, thanks but this doesn't seem to achieve what I need...let me try to
    > explain again.
    >
    > I have 10 data series - prj 1,2,3...10
    > Each series has 36 cells - month 1,2,3,....36
    > My X axis is set for month 1 - 36
    >
    > I now want to take up into the chart only months 24-36 for prj 8, so I
    > select these cells in the values range for prj 8. (If I amend the X axis
    > when
    > changing the prj 8 range then the entire chart is changed to reflect only
    > month 24 onwards, so this is not my solution.)
    >
    > What happens in my chart is that the prj 8 series does in fact start with
    > month 24 in the chart, but it is put into the chart in the month 1 column,
    > and all prj 8 data is shifted to the left! (Placing my mouse over the
    > chart
    > the pop up reflects the correct "names" of the positions in the chart but
    > of
    > course the info is wrong - i.e. prj 8, month 1 has the month 24 data!)
    >
    > I hope my explanation above isn't too confusing, and that you've
    > suggestions
    > as to how to achieve what I need. (I have in the meanwhile "tricked" Excel
    > by
    > entering zeros in the months that I do not want to show in the chart, and
    > simply used the full range (month1-36) for project 8! Not entirely
    > satisfactory, but the result is what I want. There must be a way of
    > picking
    > parts of ranges to enter into a chart!?)

    You are using XY scatter for your chart type, aren't you?
    Are you saying that the cells in the X axis series contain numbers 24 to 36
    but that they're being plotted as 1 to 13?
    Have you checked that the month numbers really are formatted as numbers, not
    text?
    --
    David Biddulph

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Selecting part of a series for a chart?

    No, I think he's using a line chart. Even if you specify different category
    values for series after the first, these additional series still are plotted
    according to the data for series 1. There are two options:

    1. Use and XY chart
    2. Use a values range the same size as for the first series, and include
    blanks at the beginning to offset its starting point.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Al
    Guest

    Re: Selecting part of a series for a chart?

    Thanks Guys....I am using a combination of column and line charts. From my
    interpretation of X-Y charts this will not work with the data I have - and
    the requirements of my client - and, yes, #2 below is what I have ended up
    doing to achieve my desired result. This is not ideal as every time I need
    this particular chart, I'll have to blank off the data I don't want. This is
    different each time, hence I'll need to resort to a "master" rather than the
    previous months version of the same chart!

    Be far easier if Excel would allow me to choose a part of a series and to
    take this up in the chart at the desired X axis points!

    Allan

  7. #7
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Selecting part of a series for a chart?

    Instead of blanking off the data you don't want, you could set up another
    column with formulas that only include data within limits you set. See how
    portions of a series are included and excluded in my Conditional Charting
    article:

    http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Cha...nalChart1.html

    - Jon
    -------