Several (x, y) coordinated lines on one graph

  1. #1

    Several (x, y) coordinated lines on one graph

    I am trying to plot for the general (x, y) coordinated dataset.

    For example,

    Series A
    (1, 50) (8, 90) (10, 300) (300, 500)

    Series B
    (3, 80) (400, 90)

    Series C
    (30, 80) (200, 120)

    and so on.

    The data is store on single worksheet

    Series Name x coordinate y coordinate
    A 1 50
    A 8 90
    A 10 300
    A 300 500
    B 3 80
    B 400 90
    C 30 80
    C 200 120

    I tried to plot the graph using Line graph, with 3 series each named A,
    B, C,
    set the values for each series with corresponding y's, and set the x
    axis labels as the whole x coordinate range, but it doesn't work as I
    wanted.

    Any help on plotting a set of lines based on (x, y) coordinates?

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Several (x, y) coordinated lines on one graph

    Let's assume you date is in A1:C8. (A1 has the first "A", B1 has 1, C1 has
    50)
    1)Select B1:C4 (all the A-data) and make an XY chart. Please note XY charts
    are used when plotting ordered pairs of numerical data.

    2)Now select the B data (B5:C6) and use the Copy tool; Click the chart to
    activate it; use the menu command Edit|Paste Special and specify in the
    dialog New Series; X-category values in first column. Now we have two data
    series.

    3) Repeat step 2 with the C data.

    4) You have a chart but the legend has Series 1, Series 2... and you might
    want A, B, .... Right click the chart; open the Source Data dialog; open the
    Series tag; and correct names (or cell references) for each series)

    best wishes
    Send me private email if more details needed and I will return a
    screen-capture movie showing the steps.
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme