Totals in 3d bar graph don't add up correctly

  1. #1
    jonfaris
    Guest

    Totals in 3d bar graph don't add up correctly

    When I highlight a range of data to create a 3D bar graph with the Charts
    Wizard and follow the steps, the resulting bars do not match up with the
    original data. For example, I have five different fiscal years for my
    company and their corresponding budget:

    FY07 Actual FY08 FY09 FY10 FY11
    $81,173.00 $260,244.20 $453,499.79 $576,582.05 $704,575.88

    When I put these in a chart, the bars do not line up correctly (i.e. the
    FY11 bar only reachs to just below the $700,000 line, rather than just above
    it).

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Jon

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Totals in 3d bar graph don't add up correctly

    And that is exactly why many authors warn about using the 3D effect - it
    distorts the data.
    The 3D effect is what the charting expert Tufte called "chart junk" or when
    he is being polite, "gratuitous decoration".
    Thank you for a nice example for the book I am working on!
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jonfaris
    Guest

    Re: Totals in 3d bar graph don't add up correctly

    Thanks, Bernard! I just switched the charts back to regular bar graphs, and
    it all looks correct...

    Best,
    Jon