Changing Displayed Data and Legends thru VBA

  1. #1
    BenWeber
    Guest

    Changing Displayed Data and Legends thru VBA

    Are there any vba functions to change the data displayed in the data area of
    the chart and/or legend text through VBA (ie not using the wizard, instead
    need to do this in code)?

    Specifically, I would like to put checkboxes on a worksheet to enable the
    user to turn on-and-off data that's displayed in a chart (there's about 10
    stats they could choose from, and it gets busy if all are shown).

    Thanks!
    -Ben

  2. #2
    Del Cotter
    Guest

    Re: Changing Displayed Data and Legends thru VBA

    On Tue, 23 May 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
    BenWeber <[email protected]> said:

    >Are there any vba functions to change the data displayed in the data area of
    >the chart and/or legend text through VBA (ie not using the wizard, instead
    >need to do this in code)?
    >
    >Specifically, I would like to put checkboxes on a worksheet to enable the
    >user to turn on-and-off data that's displayed in a chart (there's about 10
    >stats they could choose from, and it gets busy if all are shown).

    Pivot tables let you check and uncheck ranges. You may also be able to
    use the controls available in the Form Design toolbar, if you don't want
    to use a Pivot chart.

    --
    Del Cotter
    NB Personal replies to this post will send email to [email protected],

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Changing Displayed Data and Legends thru VBA

    "Del Cotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 23 May 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
    > BenWeber <[email protected]> said:
    >
    >>Are there any vba functions to change the data displayed in the data area
    >>of
    >>the chart and/or legend text through VBA (ie not using the wizard, instead
    >>need to do this in code)?
    >>
    >>Specifically, I would like to put checkboxes on a worksheet to enable the
    >>user to turn on-and-off data that's displayed in a chart (there's about 10
    >>stats they could choose from, and it gets busy if all are shown).

    > Pivot tables let you check and uncheck ranges. You may also be able to use
    > the controls available in the Form Design toolbar, if you don't want to
    > use a Pivot chart.

    For example:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

  4. #4
    BenWeber
    Guest

    Re: Changing Displayed Data and Legends thru VBA

    Both good answers.

    Problem for me is that i was trying to simplify the question. I'm actually
    using the chart outside of excel (it's actually in MS Access). That's why i
    tried to specify using VBA, although i did use "checkboxes on a spreadsheet"
    in the example because I thoguht it would be the same method so would be
    simpler.

    Are there functions that allow you to change the data being displayed via
    code?

    Ie methods to do what you'd do in the wizard if you took a value out of the
    stats being displayed in the data area of the chart?

    Thanks!
    -B

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Changing Displayed Data and Legends thru VBA

    In Excel you can use VBA to change the data used by individual series or by
    the entire chart. I don't know how charts work in Access.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    BenWeber
    Guest

    Re: Changing Displayed Data and Legends thru VBA

    I really wanted to avoid changing the data for optimization perspective.

    I did a record macro and changed the included fields. Looks like the
    property i need to change is:

    ActiveChart.PivotLayout.PivotTable.PivotFields("Sum of Unix").Orientation = _
    xlHidden

    Thanks,
    -B